Fuse #8

Monday, April 30, 2007

Y'all Are Lucky I Love You

Recently we here at Donnell decided that despite our deepest hopes and dreams, floppy disks just aren't gonna make a comeback. So we got around to the nasty business of making certain that they had been thoroughly deleted from the system (they had). In the course of this job, I discovered an old friend. Below the Root, babies. Based on the book by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, it translated into an enormously satisfying video game. I played it for hours on my Commodore 64 and WON (unlike, say, Q-Bert) and lo and behold here it was at Donnell. I was thrilled. If any of you have an old Apple computer, invite me over sometime. We'll break out the joysticks and give it a whirl. It even has the map!

But if you wish to get that old-timey computer interface into your life a different way, I've found that there's a way to make your blog look like a Commodore 64 interface. Everybody say it with me! LOAD, "*", 8,1 and return! If I didn't love you all so very very much I might be seriously tempted to do this. Though, if I'm going to be honest, it would be cool for about 3 days. Then the blue would start to get to me. Thanks to BoingBoing for the link.

By the way, I've also found that children's picture book author/illustrator Jarrett Krosoczka shares my love of 80s arcade games. Examine the evidence. He found this place where post-it notes could create a Donkey Kong image and he's also the one responsible for that Q-Bert image I linked to. Bravo to you, sir.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Blogger Sara said...

OMG. Below the Root. I haven't thought of this book in ages, not since I was twelve, but when I saw the title, I had an instant, intense flashback to how great it was to read it. How could I have forgotten?

I had no idea there was a video game, though. Wish I'd played it instead of Q*bert. I fell off the edge so many times that I still have a fear of high, stacky block places.

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger PJ Hoover said...

Funny enough, Q-bert was about the only video game I was actually any good at. Unless you count Castle Wolfenstein. And, yes, both were played on the Commodore 64.
But let's not get started talking about the hundreds of hours spent (wasted) playing these games. Oh, to have the time back!

 
At 10:09 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Wasted? I think not! Why, as a result of the countless hours spent before the monitor I am now able to bowl in the Wii with aplomb. How could that possibly be considered a waste?

 
At 3:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Below the Root was both a great book (series, really - there are two or three more, right?) and a really fun video game.

 
At 6:01 PM , Blogger Lindsey said...

Our new computers only take flash drives so we also said bye bye to floppy disks. But we do have converter station where you can put your stuff on disk onto a flash drive. We haven't had too many complaints yet. . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home