Fuse #8

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Contesty-westy

While Scholastic was hopping the Al Roker train for big-time publicity fun, Harper Collins decided to go a different route. "Hey!," say they. "Let's pair with Johnson & Johnson and do one of those Win a Chance To Be an Author" things. And so they did. Thus was the Internet spotted with sentences like the one below:

"Every parent is a storyteller because as a parent, you possess the unique ability to see the world through a child’s eyes. Has your child inspired a story you wish to tell?"

Yes. My child that I do not have has inspired me to write a story about a blowfish named Larry. Free money please.

Here's what I find particularly amusing. Check out the description of the Grand Prize: "One Grand Prize Winner will have his or her story brought to life – printed and illustrated by HarperCollins. The winner will also receive a $1,000 Gift Card, a library of classic children’s books from HarperCollins and a JOHNSON’S®. Baby Gift Set, featuring JOHNSON’S® BEDTIME BATH® & BEDTIME LOTION®."

No mention of any book rights there, eh buddy? Just a gift card, some books, and lotion. Woo-boy! Check out the print run too. 5,000 books. Foof. Good luck with all that then.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM , Blogger EM said...

Oh, good gravy. Are we now encouraging the old "I made up this story for my kid so please publish it" thing? My inbox shudders at the thought.

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Though, honestly, it's not like some parents haven't done this before. Now they just have more impetus. My apologies to your in-box.

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger eluper said...

The winner is going to need that lotion with both J&J and Harper Collins taking turns screwing them.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Feel free to delete my comment.

Eric

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Eh. I watch Daily Show & Colbert Report with regularity. I've heard worse.

 
At 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first picture book had one 10,000 print run. When they were sold out -- the publisher didn't publish any more hardbacks because the board books were going like crazy. Up to 55,000 by now and still growing.

My second picture book had a much smaller print run of 3,000, which ran out of stock within a month or two and they have had to go back to presses several more times. Again the board book version is outselling the hardback.

This is just to give you a general idea of print runs. 5,000 is actually reasonable for a first book. But if it gets good publicity ("buzz" as it were), I do hope they plan to reprint the winner's book.

-C.W. Bowie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home