Fuse #8

Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Spy With My Little Eye, Something That Rhymes with Vaughnfest

I don't suppose that this sort of thing is limited to librarians, but certainly members of my profession would take an interest in the prizes. DK Publishing is riding the publicity machine via a contest. Whaddaya win?
GRAND PRIZE
One grand prize winner will receive 100 Eyewitness books* of their choosing!
(*based on availability)

RUNNERS-UP
Five Runners-Up will receive a set of the four new Eyewitness titles, plus a set of the eight re-launched backlist titles!

THIRD PLACE
25 Third Place winners will receive a set of the four new Eyewitness titles!
Eyewitness has its charms. Nobody in their right mind would ever use it as a reliable reference text, but for those kids who bat their long lashes at you and plead for something ANYTHING on one topic or another, they tend to do very well. Go wild, pretty kitties.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:46 PM , Blogger rams said...

What? Why wouldn't you ever use them as a reliable reference text? They always looked a nice combination of big-shiny-overview and small-detailed-insets to me. (Only disliked the one on human sexuality -- those white backgrounds and flat lighting made everyone look like boiled ham. Always suspected it was supposed to contribute to teenage celibacy.

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

They haven't any source notes, bibliographies, or references anywhere in the text. The facts, as they stand, are always kind of jumbled and rambling too. I don't dislike the books personally, but there are far better sources to use for reports out there.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Saipan Writer said...

Oh my. I'm not a librarian, just a mom. And I love them.

(Okay, so I'm also a writer. I still like them.)

(And I'm a lawyer--there ARE "better" references out there, but the EYEWITNESS books are still fun.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home