Fuse #8

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Quest for the Red Dress - Part Two: The Plot Thickens

When we last left our hero...

She had been kvetching over her need for a good red dress. And lo did the million and one submissions pour in, and they were good. And thus did our hero find the dress she loved. The dress of her life. It might well have been "the one".

Well, when you fall in love, you fall in love without rhyme or reason. IN SPITE of the fact that I have never ordered anything online clothing-wise a day of my life and IN SPITE of the fact that my husband pointed out that it looked a bit more pink than red, I bought that baby right quick. Yesterday it comes in. It looks good. It looks good on me, more to the point. But it is (and here I think you will have to agree with me) ...


PINKISH


Not the flaming red I had envisioned.

Hm. Love is a funny fickle thing. So what am I to do? I'm not in the habit of spending umpteen bazillion dollars on dresses. I just did that.

Ipso facto, it is new plan time.





Like so.

The new plan states that I would like to possibly borrow someone else's dress. Yours. I would like to borrow your red dress. This plan has many things to recommend it:

1. I'm far more likely to spill something on my own dress than someone else's (or so history has proven thus far).
2. I could reimburse you for shipping.
3. Your dress could attend the Newbery banquet on my body.

It's win-win!

Therefore I have a favor to ask of you. If you happen to own a beautiful bright red dress of a size 4 or 6 . . . . um . . . . can I borrow it? Just send me a picture to my e-mail address (if you click on my Fuseman in the upper left-hand corner of the blog it'll direct you to it) and know that I'm notoriously picky picky. Oh! And maybe we'll have a big dress-off where I post all the photos and people get to vote. That'd be fun.

Now in the event that you all send me beautiful pictures of your dresses and none of them suit my fickle female eye, I will wear Dress #1 (which really is lovely and who's sole flaw is its pinky hue). Plus, and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT SEND ME A DRESS! Just a picture for now will do.

And maybe none of you want to send a perfect stranger your gorgeous red dress. Still, it'd be mighty fun . . . . .

. . . to be continued . . .

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 12:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Fuse. This dress has a beautiful cut...and if it fits you as beautifully as it is styled - you have a mighty fine choice.

Alas, I only have a red kimono and it would not surround you nearly as well.

Pinkish red is very fine for setting off the complexion.

Katherine

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, I haven't given up on it. And it may well be that, in the end, it's the winner anyway. We shall see....

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Liz B said...

Oh, but I like this one!

Anyway. While I have dresses in the specified size and would lend in a minute, I have nothing in red (well, there was that old bridesmaid dress but it's being used by a six year old for dress up.)

good luck!

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

Forget stressing over the dress. High-priced undergarments (aka minimally invasive cosmetic enhancements) are the secret to public confidence. And you don't want to borrow somebody else's underwear.

 
At 10:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuse sweetie, this dress is perfect. Perfect, I tell you. It's yours. You found it. Now enjoy it, and we will all enjoy looking at you.

And try The Town Shop for undergarments. Fabu.

This is my zillionth Newbery. I confess I am probably going to wear the same blue silk two-piece that I have worn to the past several. TheInfomancer will wear his black silk band collar shirt, most probably, and he will be fabu, too.

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

On reflection, Fuse's Dress Quest is truly a hero's journey complete with tests, allies, enemies, and call to adventure. I still submit that a good bodyshaper must serve as your elixir.

No matter what you wear, please go glam to the max with bright red (or pinkish) nails, stilettos, and lips, and take plenty of pix so that we literary nerd types shall sigh with satisfaction at the end of the quest.

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Hmm.... these women. They speak with words of sense. Perhaps pinkish-hued dress will serve after all...

 
At 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's perfect for you. The moment I saw it, I could see you in it.

And I don't even know you--just seen some pix somewhere.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Jennie said...

What's wrong with pink?!

I'd love to help you out (does my dress get a goodie bag?) but I look horrible in red and therefore don't have any. Plus, my butt is apparently 18 times bigger than yours.

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Nina Lindsay said...

Dye it!

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Gail Gauthier said...

As a general rule, I'm not all that interested in party clothes, probably because I never need them. But this clothes borrowing "quest," as Mitali calls it, is just brilliant. And Mitali's
suggestion that high-priced undergarments are the secret to public confidence has filled me with a desire to go lingerie shopping.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Katia said...

I'm coming in from nowhere, and awfully late, but I just have to say that I LOVE this quest for a red silk dress. It is seriously funny. Or is it funnily serious business? I would also like to add that, even though that pinkish dress looks quite lovely, I think you should follow Mitali Perkins' first suggestion : go buy yourself a sari. I currently live in India and my husband bought me a gorgeous sari for Christmas last year. I always found them beautiful, but thought I'd look totally awkward and out of place :) in a sari. Well, I was wrong. I've never felt so elegant - actually, yes, on my wedding day. It is simply impossible not to look good in a sari. Why don't you go and try one, if only for curiosity's sake?

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Fuse, I sent you a photo of my red dress, and you're welcome to borrow it if it tickles your fancy, but I heartily recommend the dress you ordered online. It's gorgeous. It's YOU. Well, it's not you in the sense that it's a dress and you're a human, but it is your style. Smashing!

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger fibercontent said...

Nina beat me to it--do dye it. I do this all the time, with all sorts of fabric. A simple call to FIT or Pratt will help you get right dye for the fabric. I know more than I need to about fiber and dyeing (sp??) and I am sure that is the solution. Fit is so much more difficult.

 
At 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at Macy's yesterday on 34th street and saw a red dress by Nine West. Might be worth a look!

 
At 9:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dress you show is beautiful -- and looks very red on my computer screen. (obviously there is something wrong with my computer. hmmm?)

At first I thought it perfectly natural that you would want to wear the colors of the Caldecott winner's book to the Newbery/ Caldecott banquet. But today I suddenly remembered that you were on the NEWBERY committee, not the Caldecott committee.

What -- are both sets of committee members dressing to match the Caldecot winner?

How fastinating! I can't wait to attend the banquet. (especially to see Maryland author, Jennifer Holm receive her second Newbery honor and maybe see her baby.)

My first grader and her best friend spent the afternoon devouring book #1 of Jenni's Baby Mouse series.

-librarian, writer, mom

 
At 12:39 AM , Blogger sdn said...

the dress is just fine. you don't need to solicit more help from whoever reads your blog. just get some decent shoes and you're set.

 
At 8:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I've got nothin'....
(Your dress looks red on my monitor too- so it is a kind of coral?)

 
At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous (librarian, writer, mom),

Remember that Lucky borrowed Brigitte's red silk dress in The Higher Power of Lucky.

Dear Betsy,

My apologies that it's pinkish. They didn't describe it as pinkish. Or coralish. Sigh.

 
At 11:26 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

No no no, Elizabeth. No blaming is to be done here. And, as many say, it has a distinctly reddish hue. It may yet be good. I've already purchased shoes to go with whatever I get. I'm going to have to dedicate an entire posting to getting my very first pedicure, though. *shudder*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home