Fuse #8

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Trendwatch (Sans Dimitri Martin)

First Amazon gets sneaky and thinks to create a podcast network just for the heckuvit. Then Simon & Schuster cranks it up a notch and launches an Internet Video Channel for the sole purpose of marketing. Because kidlit is such a huge business, I know it's only a matter of time before various behemoths get around to including the parent-friendly/child-friendly aspects to these sites. The question is, would kids actually tune into a podcast with their favorite author? Or check out a publisher's "channel" to learn more about upcoming books? It could happen, sure. But somehow I suspect that it would take just as many marketing dollars to promote the site that is meant to, in turn, market a product than it would to just promote that product directly.

Thanks to Galleycat for both links.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM , Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Not sure about kids tuning in to authors' podcasts (I hope so, at least) but if you ever get a chance to see Dimitri Martin's hour long special on Comedy Channel, do so! It's SO hilarious!

-Robin

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Honestly, it's what made me love the man. I mean, he was so-so on The Daily Show at first. Then I saw the special and the man is friggin' hee-larious. I passed him at the Union Hall bar in Brooklyn a month or so ago, which was neat. He's the Steven Wright of my generation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home