Fuse #8

Friday, June 08, 2007

Horn Book's Summer Reading

Bad new, folks. Apparently Horn Book Magazine has acquired a way to see into my very brain. Look at this magnificent Summer Reading List they just put out. It's like we're soul mates or something.



Beach - Beach? Someone else on this planet read and loved Beach? *sob* I'm not alone!

The Chicken Chasing Queen of Lamar County - Excellent. The buzz starts low, but if I can keep it up then this book will be causing a veritable blaze of glory by the time the award season circles through.

Aggie and Ben - Awwwww. Just... awwwww.

The Green Glass Sea - Look, Ellen! They included your book!

Larklight - Suh-weet. Now please to find me a child who likes it. I love it, but I want some confirmation that there's a kid somewhere anywhere that digs horrible white space spiders.

A Drowned Maiden's Hair - Look, Laura! They included your book too!

To Dance - This makes me happy.



I'm really going to have to read this Rex Zero and the End of the World book aren't I? It just keeps cropping up.


Please go to bookshelves of doom for a full encapsulation of all the further summer reading lists out there.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chicken-chasing queen is my new hero -- I covered her here. LOVE that book.

At our Sunday 7-Kicks list, we are now featuring a new illustration/illustrator at the top of each list (Jeremy Tankard contributed a Grumpy Bird illusration last week -- a piece he did for the cover of a French children's book catalog), and look for a Sean Qualls-approved illustration this weekend (perhaps from Dizzy). Anyway, so maybe I can track down Shelley Jackson and ask her for an illustration for one Sunday. I love her work in this book. One of the best picture books of the year thus far.

 
At 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got Beach from the library this week on your recommendation, to read today on our way to the beach! And after my quick glance through it, I'm betting the kiddo and I will both love it.

And I'm dying to read Larklight. I'm going to try it out on my nephew who will probably adore the space spiders.

 
At 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The space spiders were one of the things that even got my son (eleven) to try reading it! That and the house with all the rooms every-which way.

Unfortunately, the language was, I think, the put off. He didn't stay with it. I loved the language, but then I studied Victorian Lit in school & love anything that shows me the author knows what was going on then!

I think we had similarly different reactions to Kenneth Oppel's Skybreaker and Airborne. The language and the Victoriana made it for me; for him, it slowed things down too much--I think!

 
At 10:04 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Don't know as I count as a "kid", but I read LARKLIGHT last year at age 15 and really enjoyed it. :)

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My son (age 9) LOVED Larklight! I read it to him, though--in my very best English accent. Otherwise, the language might have been a deal killer. Would be awesome 4th or 5th grade read aloud.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home