Fuse #8

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

You can insult my name, you can insult my people....

BUT YOU BLOODY WELL CANNOT INSULT MY LIBRARY!!!!

*pant pant pant pant pant*

A new project of New York City Indymedia, IndyKids, has been censored by two area library systems. After agreeing to distribute IndyKids to their local branches, both the New York Public Library and the Queens Public Library changed their minds and now refuse to distribute the paper. They say the reason for their decision is that IndyKids is not “balanced.”

Yet a look at the periodicals offered at the Donnell Children’s Library shows a striking bias. For example, “Biography Today-Profiles of People of Interest to Young Readers” September 2005 issue calls Pope John Paul II “the charismatic ‘people’s pope’ who helped topple Communism while championing Catholic values and a culture of peace.”


So here's the thing. Remember when I said I didn't feel comfortable discussing this subject because it has to do with my job and I happen to like my job? Well I'm still not discussing anything. But if you happen to look at that School Library Journal blog there are some good comments.

5 Comments:

At 1:16 PM , Blogger Mrs.Bowllan said...

Sorry if the blog post from SLJ was insulting to you. It certainly was NOT meant to be.
Just so you know, I'm a huge fan of NYPL,
http://kfteachers.blogspot.com/2005/04/meet-our-enlightened-thinkers.html
...and await news from them (NYPL) as to the IndyKids (as per some anonymous comments made to the post)
Best regards,
Amy Bowllan
SLJ Blogger

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Aw, shucks. I wasn't really all that mad at SLJ. It just made me sad that my library in particular was picked out in the article and then that SLJ (who I love with all my pretty little heart) was reproducing the info. And I like your blog too. Especially the "blogs with odd names" section.

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger Mrs.Bowllan said...

Do tell us fusenumber8???I sent you an email and hope you respond.

Amy

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh dear. I didn't seem to receive the e-mail. Try sending it again if you get a chance.

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Mrs.Bowllan said...

Sent it again earlier...hope you got it.

Amy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home