Fuse #8

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The songs you DON'T want your children's librarian to sing

I'd like some confirmation that this is a worldwide problem. How many of you have sat at the Reference Desk and found a particularly nasty earworm caught in your brain? For those of you unfamiliar with the word, an earworm can be described thusly: "a term for a song stuck in one's head, particularly an annoying one". Everyone gets songs stuck in their head (or "repetunitis") once in a while. This is not news. However, there's something about working with children every day that makes a person like myself a prime candidate for inappropriate ear worms. The other day it was They Call the Wind Maria. So I'm standing there facing an intelligent 8-year-old and all I want to do is start belting out, "The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe and they call the wind MARIAH!!!". But that has nothing but nothing on the song caught in my head today. I don't have statistics for the ages of the people who read this blog. Suffice it to say, perhaps some of you are familiar with a little ditty called Baby Got Back. If you know it then you know how wrong it would be to sing in a children's room. That's probably why I cannot for the life of me remove it from my brain. Does anyone else have this problem?


....little in the middle but she's got much back....

3 Comments:

At 6:13 PM , Blogger Liz B said...

For 2 weeks after the oscars, I had It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp stuck in my head.

Darn, thinking about it has made it happen again...

 
At 12:17 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I would think the teens would dig lines like that. Maybe not their parents so much. And I tip my hat to "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp". Dang-it. Now it's in MY head.

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger Kelly Gardiner said...

Someone stuck this in my ear the other day, complete with odelling, and it's still there:
"High on the hill lived a lonely goatherd..."

(Though I think Mariah might be worse)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home