Fuse #8

Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Book Reviewer: Outdated Hanger-On or Archaic Remnant of a More Innocent Time?

Do reviews sell books? Well, do they? Punk? An article in Wednesday's Guardian asks this very question. Says the article, "In the 21st century - the age of the reading group, the website and the chatroom - the reviewer can sometimes look like a threatened species". Don't get your knickers in a twist quite yet, fellow children's books reviewers. The article fortunately ends with the baffled author D.J. Taylor remarking, "Curiously, he or she [the reviewer] still matters in a way that many of the more exalted guardians of our culture do not". I swear to God, if Taylor is referring to librarians I'll fly over this ocean and make 'em eat those words personally.

3 Comments:

At 2:10 PM , Blogger Michele said...

I can hardly wait to hear what you think of Alan Snow's amazing Here be Monsters ! I reviewed it back in October (review at http://scholar-blog.blogspot.com/2005/10/here-be-monsters-alan-snow-reprise.html) - it earned me my coolest ever comment - from the author himself !! *grins*

 
At 2:54 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Boy, it is a weird little puppy, isn't it? I'm only 10 pages in but once you get to the cheese with legs it's Goofy City.

 
At 2:42 AM , Blogger Michele said...

It is weird, but wonderful... I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the second book...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home