Fuse #8

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Branch 2 On the Triumverate Gets Some Press

We are all familiar with The Triumverate of Mediocrity, yes? Good. I won't rehash what we all already know. And by "all" I mean the readers of this blog. But apparently I missed this May 11th article in the Canadian National Post celebrating Branch #2's 25-year anniversary. Well now, here's the problem. The article says that Munsch wrote the book after the stillborn loss of both a son and a daughter. So here's the problem.... I still hate the book but now I find I can't hate it with my previous glee. What kind of sad sack of a human being puts down a book that came out of that kind of loss?

*sigh* I dislike hearing why people write what they do. Because this book is so tremendously disturbing, it cannot be but rooted to its spot on the Triumverate. I guess I'll just have to acknowledge that those who like it may have some kind of story behind their inconceivable love. Still... couldn't he have written something anything other than this? Now I'm getting worried. What if there's a story behind Rainbow Fish too......

8 Comments:

At 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I told you to lay off Love you Forever. And once again I take this opportunity to suggest a replacement for it on the number two spot:

The scary Runaway Bunny superpowers hound the kid to the ends of the earth don't even need a ladder bunny mama.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

No no no. Nuh-uh. No replacements. "Luv U 4ever" stays on the list. Just because it came out of a real emotion doesn't mean it projects the same.

But I completely agree with you "Runaway Bunny"wise. I need a Second Triumverate. And heading up that list would definitely be "Runaway". Any other suggestions?

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Before and after my three miscarriages (all after kiddo #3 was born) I found LY4E a sorry excuse for a kids' book and still do. Always will. Keep the glee : ).

 
At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing that Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" is steeped in tragedy doesn't make me hate it any less.

Hate on, Fuse #8, hate on!

For the record, my vote goes to Oh, the Places You Will Go for the 2nd Triumverate.

 
At 7:07 PM , Blogger Gail Gauthier said...

I've heard the story of how Love You Forever came about before. It totally confirms my feeling that this is not a kids' book. It is a picture book for adults.

It was not inspired by a kid situation, it does not address kid issues or feelings. It is an adult book.

There is nothing wrong with picture books being created for and marketed to adults. I just think the publishing world should do that and not create these books that are labeled children's books when they are nothing of the kind. They shouldn't be pushed onto children. Why can't they be marketed to the people who really appreciate them?

 
At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see your three miscarriages and raise you two.

And I stand by my fondness for Love You Forever. I think it is a kid's story. Kids understand exaggeration in narrative. They like bold strokes, big gestures, demonstrations of affection.

And of course it's never too early to get them used to the idea of taking care of you in your old age.

 
At 10:39 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Granted we all want to be taken care of in our old age. But should I ever see my own mother approaching my home with a ladder strapped to the hood of her car, I'm heading for the hills. That is a question, though. Has anyone ever met a child that thinks that LYF is their favorite book?

 
At 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Girlchild had it memorized by about 3, she asked to have it read to her so often. More than Goodnight, Moon (her version of the last page of this classic: Good Night Noses Everywhere).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home