Fuse #8

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Who Lives In a Pineapple Under the Sea, Defeating That Old Time Masculinity


A professor wrote this request on the Child_Lit listserv the other day:

I'm looking for children's/YA texts (literature, films, tv shows, comics, etc.) that use humor, specifically ridicule, to either critique or reinforce dominant masculinity. For example, the humor in some of the Captain Underpants books reinforces dominant versions of masculinity by ridiculing women and feminized boys and men. But other texts, _The Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie_ and _The Book of Everything_, use ridicule to critique and challenge dominant masculinity.


And may I just say that I am thrilled to pieces that a professor would recognize that SpongeBob SquarePants is worthy of scholarship AND that it challenges "dominant masculinity". I shall now lift a glass to future Spongey scholarship. Perhaps involving that charming Squidward fellow.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the whole SBSP thing. Frankly, he creeps me out.

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I think it's a question of watching whole heaping helpfuls of it rather than snippets. It's really rather engaging once you give over to it completely. Which isn't to say it isn't tuh-wisted...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home