Fuse #8

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Adventures of Pete and ....

From the sheer number of Peter Pan posts on this blog you'd think I was some kinda fan. I'm not, for the record. The book has long since been placed on my Um, What Is That Book Trying To Say? shelf. But Pete's all over the news these days. Just in, an article from Australia's The Age on Geraldine McCaughrean's upcoming official Peter Pan sequel, Peter Pan in Scarlet. McCaughrean is to be commended for pointing out the original story's darkness. And let's face it. Whatever she writes is going to have to be better than the Barry/Ridley prequel monstrosities currently hitting our shelves. Ironic, no? I find the original story disturbing but hand me a prequel that doesn't adhere strictly to Barrie's vision and suddenly I'm overwhelmed with outrage. Fickle fickle me.

Thank you Kids Lit for the link.

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Peter Pan fan either but I do find the Barrie bio "J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys" by Andrew Birkin a fascinating read.

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger John L said...

I'll admit, I'm a lifelong Peter Pan fan. Though strangely, I've never been satisfied with ANY of the film adaptations. I had my own picture of the story in my head. Perhaps everyone does? I think the "myth" of Peter Pan has far overshadowed the original story, which was definitely strange, flawed, and -- yes -- a classic.

By the way, I love your blog!

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Thank you, John.
I enjoyed heartily the latest Pan incarnation on film, but that's probably because I disliked the original book so much. I mean, what is up with Mrs. Darling's kiss? Nobody can contest the Pan status of "classic" however. Nobody.

By the way, I'm in your debt, Lizzy, for that hot piece of news. THAT is bonafied info-tainment.

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger John L said...

I liked that film version too -- the best of the bunch!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home