Fuse #8

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ruling Society Vs. Running Around and Jumping Into Things

When J.L. Bell had a recent post about The City of Ember, I couldn't help myself. Has anyone else ever noticed the similarity between that book and the following:

The Wind Singer, by William Nicholson
The Giver, by Lois Lowry
Below the Root, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder?

To be more exact, in each book a child turns 12 and will now have the job they will carry for the rest of their life. Child then discovers the ugly underbelly of his/her otherwise perfect society. . . . If the child is a boy, as in The Giver and Below the Root, then the job he's been given is extra special. If the child is a girl, as in The Wind Singer and City of Ember, the job requires running around a lot.

Well leave it to Mr. Bell to take an idea and run with it. God. If you aren't reading your Oz and Ends every single friggin' day then start. Each posting is like a perfect little thesis. In a good way, of course.

6 Comments:

At 10:03 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yeah. That kind of fits, doesn't it? It's not a dystopic society, but it fits a pattern.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

Do I feel lucky. The eloquent JL Bell happens to be in my critique group, so I am privy to such astute literary observations face to face every month. Not to mention the insightful editorial help on my manuscripts. OzandEnds rocks!

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger J. L. Bell said...

This is too kind. I'm so embarrassed I can barely copy the posting for my archive and send the URL to my mother.

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

I have yet to read Below the Root by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

 
At 10:52 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

A question I wonder as well. Get thee to a library that hasn't yet thrown out all their copies yet. That puppy's due for a reprint (preferably with a better cover).

 
At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a recent reprint of Below the Root, And All Between, and Until the Celebration. You can buy them from Amazon. I have the new set, and they're pretty nice. LW, you simply have to read them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home