Fuse #8

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Just 85

Gauntlet tossed!
Blogger responds!
You know the rules. And if you don't here they are:

Mark the selections you have read in bold. If you liked it, add a star (*) in front of the title, if you didn't, give it a minus (-). Then, put the total number of books you've read in the subject line.

*Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
*The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
*Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
*The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
*Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
-Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch (growl, grr, spit)
-The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (double growl, grr, spit)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
*The Mitten by Jan Brett
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
*Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
*The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
*Where the Sidewalk Ends: the Poems and Drawing of Shel Silverstein by Shel Silverstein
*Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
*Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss
*Strega Nona by Tomie De Paola
*Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
*Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? by Bill Martin, Jr.
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
*A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
*The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by John Archambault
*Little House on the Prarie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne (not all, just some. He is SO gonna kill me when he finds out too)
*The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
*Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
*Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
The BFG by Roald Dahl
*The Giver by Lois Lowry
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
*James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
*Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner
*Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
*Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien
*Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
-The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister (my arch-nemesis... at last we meet again...)
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
*The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
*Corduroy by Don Freeman
*Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
Math Curse by Jon Scieszka
*Matilda by Roald Dahl
Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls (what the...?)
*Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
*Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
*Are You My Mother? by Philip D. Eastman
*The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
*Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
*One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
*The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
*The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
*The Napping House by Audrey Wood
*Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
*The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
*Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
* The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
*Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
*Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
Basil of Baker Street, by Eve Titus
-The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (see The End by Lemony Snicket for a good summary of this tale)
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Curious George by Hans Augusto Rey
*Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
Arthur series by Marc Tolon Brown (All? Hardly)
*The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
*Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
*Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
-The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (mother smothering or caring tale? You decide)
Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
*Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
*A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
*Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
-Stuart Little by E. B. White (Alvina and I are agreed on the awful open-ended ending that killed me as a kid)
*Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
The Art Lesson by Tomie De Paola
*Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
*Clifford, the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
*Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
*The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch

Ms. Ling said she found "this 100 best children's book on the National Education Association's page (from 1999, I think)." Fair enough. She also beat me by one. Ah well. Give me a list 2006 titles and just watch me improve my stats! We should do this with Newbery titles too.

From bloomabilities

16 Comments:

At 7:18 AM , Blogger Tristan Elwell said...

You've never read the Paper Bag Princess? You HAVE too! It's great.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Karen said...

If you are not fond of The Runaway Bunny you must read this!
http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/2005/05/sad_rabbit_bad_.html
The last link inthe post is the best, but is NOT child-appropriate!

 
At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the Paper Bag Princess. But what've you got against Love You Forever? Sure, that bit with the ladder climbing can be taken as somewhat creepy, but I know several mothers of young boys, myself included, who have shared wonderful moments with the bairns and the book.

Thanks for the list. I was surprised by how many of the books on there I've read.(btw, your mother sent me over)

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah. Well then I will refer you instead to my mother for an explanation. She will explain to you the subtle intricacies of that particular text. Which is to say, she has a delicious rant on the creepy-factor of LYF that demands one-on-one attention.

As for Paper Bag Princess, everyone has their gaps. I know that it's supposed to be fabulous and I've just never taken the time to sit down and read it through. Perhaps today's the day.

 
At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, are you asking us try our hand at this and send our results to you in an e-mail?

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

I've read 70 that I remember (and I'm guessing 5 that I don't). I've got some catching up to do. I suspect, like you, that I would do better with a more recent list.

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

No need to e-mail them to me. It's for your own use. I wish that there was a more recent list out there. Oh, CBC....

 
At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! I was confused by the rule, "Put the total number of books you've read in the subject line." I take it that was an instruction from Alvina to you (and other bloggers), not an instruction from you to us. I've read 75 of them (a "C", oh, my gosh!)and the ones I missed are bona fide classics.
P.S. LYF is really yucky -- and I'm an overly attached mom.

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger Meghan McCarthy said...

Yeah, Love You Forever... I don't understand the love there. Mom is a criminal stalker. Enough said.

And the Giving Tree... could only be written by a man!

meghan

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

At some point here I'm just going to have to repost my Triumverate of Mediocrity piece. Giving Tree, Love You Forever, and Rainbow Fish - you are all on notice.

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I hit about 70...but my real question is why The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is listed in addition to The Chronicles of Narnia? And Little House in the Big Woods as well as "Little House Books." That's pure sloppy (I'm not blaming you, of course, but really!)

 
At 10:02 PM , Blogger Tricia said...

This NEA list was put together by teachers, so while I share this with my preservice teachers, I try to give them other lists as well. I have been trying to get them to read off the CBC lists of 75 Authors/ Illustrators Everyone Should Know.

I also think this list from Cattermole is interesting.

 
At 1:26 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

My goodness, woman! You like Clifford, and I just razzled Clifford on your blog a few days ago. You didn't call me out, either. Much restraint you've shown.:)

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I took up the challenge and posted my results on my blog. It's a mere 57, but that's not too bad because since my avid "nose in a book" days as a child, I have only recently began reading children's books again.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Does this list look better?

http://www.cattermole.com/page4.htm

 
At 12:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

97 books read

But I have unfair advantage -- I've been a children's librarian much longer than you. (visualizing grey hairs littering this message)

Totally agree with the ones you don't like. In fact, I rejected The Giving Tree for our library system, then immediately afterward retired to have a baby and discovered it was purchased anyway -- responding to the demands of Catholic schools who had it on their required reading lists.

-librarian, writer, grandmother

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home