Fuse #8

Monday, November 13, 2006

Lecture and Off-Topic Fashion Madness

Hey, cats and kittens (I'm still digging that record cover). Today is the awe-inspiring Anne Carroll Moore Lecture with special guest star Patricia C. McKissack. As such, as you read this I am probably running around like a chicken with my head cut-off trying to get everything ready. Are the 100 Books For Reading for 2006 out for viewing? Yes they are. Are there enough strawberries in everyone's wine? All are accounted for. How about the art? Do we have all the original art from these books displayed prominently for everyone's viewing pleasure? Yes, though there was a misspelled name that I had to have corrected. Did my favorite authors and illustrators stop by to say howdy? I'll have my camera out so as to show you pics of who did come by later this week. Remember, this lecture is free free free to everybody and it happens every year.

Then tonight is a Children's Book Council Open House of some sort. I've never been to one so this will be a bit of a thrill. I have little idea of what to expect, but I hope there will be a chocolatey something of some sort. My standards are fairly basic.

By the way, I just want to give a shout-out to my dear friend Sarah. If you come to the Lecture or the Open House and find that I'm wearing swank clothing, I have her to thank. Sarah was once a photo editor with the Style section of the New York Post (motto: We're the liberal section) and since leaving to take another job she has kept in touch with her various style editor friends. Would you like to know what such women do in their off time? They throw parties where people bring their old unwanted clothes to swap. So imagine you're on East 9th Street in Manhattan in an apartment where cutting edge women of the day are discarding their clothing for FREE. These are clothes that were sometimes given to them gratis in connection with their job and that they've never even worn. And did I mention that it was free? And that the hostess with the adorable pug has baked fresh gooey brownies for eating while you try to decide whether or not to take the shirt from Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, or Victoria Secret?

Sorry. I totally got girly on you there. In any case, I'd just like to say that all your suspicions on whether or not this sort of thing goes on in NYC have been confirmed. Style editors really do trade free clothes with one another and then give the extras to the Salvation Army. I simply must set this up with my own friends soon.

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you ask Sarah to let me be her best friend? What do mere mortals like us have to do to be included in parties like that?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home