Fuse #8

Thursday, November 16, 2006

What Haven't They Made Into a Film?

A fellow writes me to let me know that he has read every single one of my Amazon.com reviews. This might be merely flattering, were it not for the fact that I have roundabout 1,256 reviews on that site at this time. The guy knows what I've said on every conceivable topic (except, perhaps, when it comes to my mysterious and difficult-to-locate Epinions YA reviews, ha ha!).

Anywho, he recalls me to the fact that I once said that the number one book for kids that should be turned into a Hollywood big blockbuster film is The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer. Which, by the way, it totally should. Look, I don't know why it is that Hollywood refuses to put ANY black children in starring roles of fun action films but it's time to bloody start, okay? Just one film. Name it. And NOT a movie where there's a black friend aiding a white hero. Black kids saving the day. Where is that film?

Back to my new friend. He asks me whether or not I have other books in mind that would make good Hollywood movies. That kind of question almost has the power to blow my circuits, though. With so many amazing books out there, where to begin? In my secret heart of hearts I envision a big budget version of Fly By Night, but how realistic would that be? So here's a quick list of titles that I think could A) Make money and B) Be really super cool on the gorgeous silver screen.

  • The Windsinger by William Nicholson - I got three words for you, kid. Evil Ancient Children. So fabulous. Lotsa action and a great plot.
  • Below the Root by Zilpha Keatley Snyder - Though really City of Ember and The Giver (which has already been optioned by Walden media) would work as well.
  • The Wizard of Oz - We have the technology. So why haven't we made a fabulous version of the film with CGI cool effects that's totally and utterly faithful to the book? I want a real Tin Man and I want him now. If Aslan can get on the screen then why not a real Cowardly Lion?
That's all from the top of my head. More are out there, I'm sure.

7 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

Yes. I want that black kid staring in... movie too. I don't think I've read that Nancy Farmer book but I am looking for it now.

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Catherine Elizabeth said...

I have been waiting for The Windsinger movie for some time! Let's hope someone in Hollywood is reading your blog and gets right on it.

 
At 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Below the Root, yes. But first let's see Above the Root - I want to see Raamo soar through Green Sky!

 
At 7:50 PM , Blogger web said...

I was stunned that Cheerios is giving away real books too.

 
At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wishgiver by Bill Britain would be an excellent film adaptation. Huge cast, lots of great cameo potential, and a great book. Does anyone in Hollywood hear me????

 
At 12:17 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I'm afraid not. Until I move to L.A. and my husband becomes a big ole screenwriter, we'll not be getting much film attention here yet. On the other hand, I've a lunch with the woman who played a transvestite in "Dude, Where's My Car?" about a possible adaptation of "Snow Treasure" to film. And no, I am not actually making this up.

 
At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Fly By Night could make an awesome movie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home