Fuse #8

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Minimize Your Therbligs.

I read this earlier today on Miss Snark:

I loved Cheaper by the Dozen.And Belles on their Toes.
Ernestine Gilbreth Carey died on Saturday at age 98.
If you've only seen the horrid remake movie, do yourself a big favor.
Read the books.
Efficiently of course.
Goodness gracious me, how come no one has mentioned this before now? Those books are the best in the biz. I've read them dozens of times and adore them to the high heavens. Heck, one of the best moments in children's literature EVER is when the mom in Belles On Their Toes tries to come up with reasons why smoking is bad and can't seem to conjure up a reasonable argument (bear in mind the 1950 publication date, won't you?).

Anyway, it's apparently true. She will be missed. Now, as Miss Snark has instructed, go read the books. They are funny incarnate.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for this. I picked up both books yesterday. (They were prominently displayed on the "Did You Miss These?" shelf. Thank you Mt. Pleasant library.)

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Wow! That's some library system. I just decided to do the same here for our "Staff Favorites" table, only to find that the Central Children's Room sole circulating copy has a cover sporting that awful Steve Martin movie.

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger betsytacy said...

Sigh. I had to un-lurk myself to give a hats off to EGC. I couldn't get enough of Cheaper and Belles as a kid. I remember standing in front of my junior high classroom, reading my favorite scenes and urging everyone to drop their Christopher Pikes and read along with me. (Back then, I dreamed of a lighthouse of my own--who didn't?) Although now the books strike me as, well, a tad problematic, I have the Gilbreths and their therbligs to thank for the way I brush my teeth and perform other mind-numbing tasks. (And we all have Lillian Moller Gilbreth to thank for the step-on trash can.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home