Fuse #8

Saturday, January 13, 2007

2007 Sydney Taylor Book Awards

I'm sufficiently baffled. In time I've accepted that I never announce the big award winners first. Kids Lit, Chicken Spaghetti, Jen Robinson, etc. always get to them before me, as is right. So how does one explain the fact that no has, as of yet that I can tell, announced the 2007 Sydney Taylor Book Awards? The only thing I can figure is that they haven't noticed quite yet. The only blog I've found to post the results is The Book of Life, and they're not strictly kidlit based anyway.

So, for the first (and undoubtedly last) time ever, I bring you award results like you've never seen 'em before! I bring them first.

Sydney Taylor Book Award Winner for Younger Readers:
Hanukkah at Valley Forge by Stephen Krensky with illustrations by Greg Harlin (Dutton)

Sydney Taylor Book Award Winner for Older Readers:
Julia’s Kitchen by Brenda Ferber (Farrar Straus and Giroux)

Association of Jewish Libraries Teen Book Award Winner:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Alfred A. Knopf/Random House)

Sydney Taylor Honor Award Winners for Younger Readers:
The White Ram by Mordicai Gerstein (Holiday House)
I Am Marc Chagall by Bimba Landmann (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers)
Shlemazel and the Remarkable Spoon of Pohost by Ann Redisch Stampler
with illustrations by Jacqueline M. Cohen (Clarion)
Rebecca’s Journey Home by Brynn O. Sugarman
with illustrations by Michelle Shapiro (Kar Ben/Lerner)

Sydney Taylor Honor Award Winners for Older Readers:
Vive La Paris! by Esme Raji Codell (Hyperion/Disney)
Solomon and the Ant: And Other Jewish Folktales by Sheldon Oberman (Boyds Mills Press)
Yellow Star by Jennifer Rozines Roy (Marshall Cavendish Children’s Books)
Night of the Burning: Devorah’s Story by Linda Press Wulf (Farrar Straus and Giroux)

Association of Jewish Libraries Honor Award Winners for Teens:
Incantation by Alice Hoffman (Little, Brown and Company)
A Brief Chapter In My Impossible Life by Dana Reinhardt (Wendy Lamb/Random House)

Kudos going out to Ms. Ferber for her win, to say nothing of Linda Press Wulf's remarkable story garnering an Honor. Some of these, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't seen before. Off I go then...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:39 PM , Blogger Andrea -- Just One More Book!! Podcast said...

Darn! I had my fingers crossed for Across the Alley (Richard Michelson)!

If these beat ATA, they must be awesome. I will definitely have to check them out.

Thanks for the scoop!
Andrea
www.JustOneMoreBook.com

 
At 6:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first first first-ness! And an important award, too.

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger Heidi Rabinowitz said...

Just want to reassure Andrea - Across the Alley was named a Notable Children's Book of Jewish Content, so even though the awards committee didn't give it an actual medal, they did give it official recognition.

The full list of all medalists and notable books is online at http://www.jewishlibraries.org/ajlweb/awards/stba/notable_list2007.pdf.

I'm involved with the committee (no longer a voting member, though) and we will be starting our publicity push next week. Mazel tov to Fuse#8 for getting the word out so quickly!

Heidi Estrin
The Book of Life podcast
www.jewishbooks.blogspot.com

 
At 4:24 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Admittedly, I had help. It's not as if I found it on my own. I won't name my secret source, however, unless that person wishes to step forward and take full credit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home