Fuse #8

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Oo-de-lally

When I sit at my comfy Reference Desk and field requests that include everything from "What are your hours?", to, "I need all your books on snowy owls", I sometimes take a breather between patrons and stare at Nottingham. The desk, you see, faces one of N.C. Wyeth's original paintings for the story of Robin Hood, and my view includes a serene vista ending in a faraway castle.

The Robin Hood that won my love long before I met Wyeth's works, however, was a little less impressive. Disney's 1973 animated version would certainly qualify for yesterday's posting on Americanized Britkidlit, as it can't quite figure out what country to set the action in. Still, I always had a fondness for the film, and Cinematical shares my affection. A person's first introduction to Robin Hood could certainly be a litmus test for their life. How many first met him alongside Wyeth's imagery? Or in the midst of T.H. White's The Sword In the Stone? Or in a graphic novel or a comic book?

4 Comments:

At 11:06 AM , Blogger Matt Phelan said...

My first introduction is still my favorite: Errol Fynn in "The Adventures of Robin Hood." I still like the Disney version too, especially for the songs and Peter Ustinov. But Wyeth did the greatest illustrations, methinks.

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger John Rozum said...

I may have seen the Errol Flynn movie first, but the Disney version was the one that stuck with me as a kid. I even had the comic book adaptation. I was stunned how bad it was when I saw it as an adult.

I was also partial to (and still am) the version with Porky Pig and Daffy Duck.

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Gah! Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that one. Yoiks, and away! *BAM*

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Camille said...

Roger Miller's music was the best. That will be my favorite version forever.

My oldest daughter loved The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. She has collected Robin Hood stories ever since reading it as a teen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home