Fuse #8

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

CCBC 2007 Choices

It's still in its rough form (sans annotations and the like) but the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC) has put out its CCBC 2007 Choices list. I like how they break the list up into unique categories without a set number of items for each. There were a couple of things on here I was happy to see listed. We all have our pet books that we wish could have gotten more attention.

Things I Was Happy To See:
Yay, unappreciated books! Which isn't to say there weren't...

Glaring Omissions:
  • Where's Kathleen Krull's bio on Isaac Newton? Oh fine. I've heard your complaints about the lack of Endnotes or citations. Pfui. I liked the book just fine.
  • The Book of Everything by Guus Kuijer? No list that includes both children and teen titles should forget this amazing little number.
  • To Dance by Siena Siegel? Other graphic novels made the list. So why not one of the best?
  • When You Were Small by Sara O'Leary? Actually, I'm not surprised. Everyone forgets this book. It may be the best picture book of 2006, but somehow it keeps falling through the cracks. The curse of small publishers, I guess.
  • Not a Box by Antoinette Portis? The surprise hit of 2006. No library should be without it.
  • And, of course, the Best Book of 2006 - Fly By Night. Nowhere to be seen. *sniffle*
That's what I love the most about big lists. You can natter away about what was and wasn't featured till you're hoarse. Personally, I think the New York Public Library's 100 Books For Reading and Sharing list is the best out there, but I'm more than a little biased.

CCBC Choices 2007 will be available at the CCBC after March 3, 2007.

Thanks to Cynsations for the link.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:55 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Hurray for Enola Holmes!

 
At 11:52 AM , Blogger ElsKushner said...

Mmmm, Fly By Night, wonderful, delicious Fly By Night. How come it's not more lauded and famous? Or is it, and I just missed it?

I suppose all the political intrigue could put people off. But STILL.

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger tanita✿davis said...

But since when does political intrigue put people off!? I don't know what's UP with people not having heard of Fly By Night. I am still shoving it into the hands of unsuspecting young people. Since I'm not a librarian, it kind of alarms them, but hey - I proselytize hard for good books.

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger Jenny Han said...

Thanks for the shout out, homie!!

 
At 12:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just finished reading Fly By Night. So wonderful. But I wouldn't have known about it had it not been for you. And your mother.

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Mom likes Fly By Night?
Hey, mom! You like Fly By Night?

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

OK now I have a few more books to pile by my bed. I am certainly taking Fly by Night home today!

 
At 11:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa there. I don't know if she likes Fly By Night or not, but I bought the book based on her telling me you'd said it was THE book of the year. Since that was obviously good enough for her, it was good enough for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home