Fuse #8

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Glad My Mom's Not the Only One Who Does This

Sometimes when it's slow I'll cruise the parenting blogs for something to post. I don't have an entling myself, but someday I will (womb remains young thus far) and I like to stock up on tips for future headaches.

One headache I've commented on in the past and that I know of from personal experience (which is to say, when I was a child) is the horror of having to sit with your child through awful preschool television programming. My own mother had it easier. She sat through enough Sesame Street episodes that she was able to build up complex relationships between the characters. Bob and Linda totally had a thing, and Maria was so into David until she finally went and married Luis instead. That kind of stuff.

Well apparently mom was not alone on this one. Parents today are still sitting there, coming up with conspiracy theories regarding the shows they have to see. A Girl Grows In Brooklyn recently had a piece entitled TV OD - Baby Stylee in which she pondered many things including, "4. Are Miffy and Boris Bear having an affair?," and "11. Where do the Backyardigans live? Is it Jersey? Looks like Jersey." You won't get these unless you too are force-fed lamentable children's television programming. For those of you that are, however, this will feel familiar.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger ElsKushner said...

I've always wondered about Max and Ruby's parents, myself. Maybe Ruby is concerned, too, and displaces it onto Max with all that fussing and bossing; all the time, she's really thinking "Where ARE they? Are they coming back? Will we end up having to eat that earthworm cake in the backyard?"

Though I guess there's always Grandma, in a pinch.

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Laura said...

During my short stint as a stay-at-home mom, all my fellow SAHMs and I took a poll of which Wiggle we'd sleep with (if we had to).

See, this is the fun stuff (aka headache) you have to look forward to.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

This is the single-most reason why I'm glad I don't have a tv. Lest you think this is pseudo-virtue on my part, we DO have computers with DVD functions. I bribe my daughter to take naps by offering a Weston Woods film at the end the nap.

Currently, our theory on "Harry the Dirty Dog" is that the family is pretending they don't recognize Harry. Also, we think that the name "Chrysanthemum" was the father's idea and Victoria (C's nemesis) turns out okay after she rebels against her snooty, elitist parents.

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can I (should I?) admit that I have had "dreams" about Steve, a la Blues Clues, and one of the Kraft (sp?) brothers from Zooboomofoo?

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I just love that THIS was the posting that got the most comments today.

 
At 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you post seven billion times a day. The merely functionally literate of us can't keep up, but hey, kiddie TV shows we've had to sit through? Yup. That we can do.

Although in my opinion, Joe of Blues Clues is Much cuter than Steve. Much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home