Fuse #8

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Nobody Puts Mary In the Corner

A blogger is only as smart as her readers. Credit Jennifer Schultz when she asked in a comment box the other day, ". . . has the Little House on the Prairie musical with Patrick Swayze and Melissa Gilbert been discussed yet? I can't remember if I read it on a kidlit blog or on one of my Broadway message boards."

Not on my watch it hasn't. And sure as shooting, that's exactly what's going on. I mentioned back in February how amused I was that they were creating a musical called Prairie! (emphasis entirely my own) but I never dreamed they'd ever get any major names attached. Yet so sayeth Yahoo News: "Patrick Swayze and Melissa Gilbert will star as Pa and Ma in an April workshop presentation of "Prairie," a musical version of Laura Ingalls Wilder's 'Little House on the Prairie.'"

Now I am old enough to remember Swayze's ill-fated leap into singing. It was when the notion of celebrities coming out with songs was a far more haphazard enterprise than it is today. Don't believe me? I got two words for you: Don Johnson. But I digress... Swayze put out a little song called She's Like the Wind (20 points if you read the words aloud just as you would Readers Theater), so we know that he can hold a tune. I just prefer to imagine crazy dance sequences with Swayze sporting a big old black Pa-beard. THAT I would pay money to see.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 9:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picture Swayze doing wild dances while fiddling, since Pa was reputed to play quite well. Kinda like Little Fiddler on the Thatch Roof on the Prairie. Or not.

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

Please, please, please let this come to DC when (don't say if) it goes on tour.

Lucky you, living in New York.

The eight o'clock number:

"Souuuuth Dakota!"

 
At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God.

I might finally have to revisit The Big City.

 
At 11:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some songs (and other kibitzing) are proposed here:

http://throwingthings.blogspot.com/2007_03_25_archive.html#6739472609903512919

You want a song? How about:
"Leeches!
Nellie's covered in leeches! Listen to her screeches,
I think that this'll teach us,
people get what they deserve."

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Um. Can you say best song ever? I can already hear the tune.

 
At 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "I've Been Working on the Prairie"

Great idea for a musical. Thanks for the scoop.

 
At 8:22 PM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

While you're waiting for Prairie, Anne of Green Gables is in town:

http://www.theatreworksusa.org/nyc_weekend.cfm

(It's not the one that's played PEI for eons. All brand new.)

Earlier, I think I meant 11 o'clock number.

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

"Jack (Come Back)" could be the breakaway hit. It's a song about a girl's love for her bulldog (whom she thinks is lost forever) but legions of singers from Barbra Streisand to Courtney Love will cover this power-ballad about The One Who Got Away.

P.S. Word Verifier was really hard this morning.

 
At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "You're as sweet as maple syrple, My little corn husk doll..." Shades of Billy Idol's China Doll, but more down-home.

I think it's got definate possibilities as a round, don't you?

I can't believe the producers haven't called asking for our input.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home