Fuse #8

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Ankle Biter Reading Material

A friend has a new bright n' shiny baby and suddenly you're in the hot seat. What to buy said baby? You don't know what's good anymore. Heck, when you were a kid babies didn't even read! Oh if only there were some kind of a list out there that that collected the best books for newbies. Some kind of, oh I dunno, Best Books for Babies of 2006 or something.

Every good librarian has a gap in their knowledge. Mine's baby related. I can't really judge any of these books except for the ones I saw in their original picture book format. Ah well. It's nice to be able to rely on experts like the Center for Early Literacy when this kind of thing comes up.

Thanks to Chicken Spaghetti for the link.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's all well and good, but my pick for the very very young is Here's a Little Poem, edited by Jane Yolen. It's truly loverly.

 
At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite gifts for babies are
a short Mother Goose with six or so rhymes in it
(the name escapes me right now)

Several of Rosemary Wells'
Mother Goose board books

and
Two board books by C.W. Bowie from Charlesbridge:
Busy Toes
Busy Fingers

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger rams said...

Fuzzy Yellow Duckies -- soooo superior to Pat yhe Bunny.

 
At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of giving everyone Higgledy Piggledy Pop by Maurice Sendak, which is really a bit much for children who are still at the books-as-chew-toys stage. I still think it's a Necessary Book to have, though.

--Sarah

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Ah, I'm glad you found this list! "Beginning With Books" is the official name of the organization that puts this list out every year, and I have an especial fondness for it because BWB is based in Pittsburgh (my home). Yes, indeed! Fred Rogers even used to serve on the selection committee back in the day, apparently.

I love their choice of baby books, but there are a few volumes from 2006 that I think got overlooked. Most notably Sarah Weeks' Overboard! which is as awesome a baby book as there is. On the other hand, they did include Nikki Grimes' Welcome Precious, which is top on the list of "Books Most Likely to Make a Very Pregnant Brooke Get All Misty-Eyed."

Good stuff.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I always buy Tails for those friends of mine who have decided to procreate. A new recent favorite (not exactly baby proof but definitely baby-worthy content) is Walk On: A Guide for Babies of All Ages.

 
At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too, Kelly! The Jane Yolen poetry collection for little guys is one where as soon as I started turning the pages, my mind started trying to come up with who I could give it to. It is wonderfully varied and interesting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home