Fuse #8

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I've Been Memed or Self-Indulgence Ala Posting

I knew there'd be a catch to this whole blogging thing. Mother Reader has memed me, which essentially means I need to write on a certain topic. Now the topic in question is Six Strange Things/Facts/Habits About Me . And though I'm loathe to divulge too much information about myself, I think I can get through this assignment easily enough. I'll just include my oddities alone. Let's see.... um...


  1. I can spin yarn from raw wool. I have spun the down of camels, rabbit fur, goat, wool dyed with Kool-aid, and other exotic beasties. Unfortunately I do not display this talent in the library simply because I do not have a spinning wheel here. Anyone who would like to donate one to me is more than welcome to. I prefer gossip wheels.
  2. When I was but a babe I fell headlong down a flight of stairs. This answers any questions of the was-she-dropped-on-her-head-as-a-child variety. I was. I managed, at that time, to knock out my front tooth. When it finally grew in (some 7-odd years later) the nerve was dead. Odder still, I still have a baby tooth amongst my molars and (as I've posted before) a wisdom tooth (only one) that's clawing its way to freedom via my left cheek. I also have a birthmark in the shape of an upside-down heart, but that's neither here nor there.
  3. I attended a Quaker college in rural Indiana. So did about 20 other people who are my close acquaintances here in New York. 2 of them are actual Quakers. For years I have fended questions like, "Were you allowed to wear buttons?" and "How 'bout zippers?". Our sports chants (and these are only funny if you are familiar with Quakerism in some way) were "Fight Fight / Inner Light / Kill, Quakers / KILL!!!" and "Fight 'em, Fight 'em / Beat 'em Senseless / Do It Till / You Reach Consensus". Needless to say, we lost more often than we won. We did have a mascot though. Ever eaten Quaker Oats? Then you know what the mascot looked like.
  4. I did not want to be a librarian. I fought against it. But it was as if I had a calling that I couldn't refuse. I was the child who organized, labeled, and made a chart for the family's video collection. I reorganized the photo albums. I (and here it gets creepy) tried to come up with a personal search engine of terms so that I'd always know what articles were in my National Geographics. Scary scary stuff.
  5. I can dance (in no particular order) the highland fling, the hornpipe, and a Scottish sword dance if called on to do so.
  6. I may someday move to L.A.

Whew! I think I got through that without too much damage. However, I shall treat this "meme" phenomenon as I would a chain letter. I'm superstitious enough to do it myself, but I don't think I'll pass it on to anyone else.

4 Comments:

At 11:04 AM , Blogger Dan McCoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger Dan McCoy said...

I call on you to show me this highland fling of yours.

 
At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived for a while in New Philadelphia, Ohio, nearly next door to the New Phila High School---home of the Fighting Quakers.

Z

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Dude, I will so be able to do that fling. Honest-to-God, I can remember it perfectly. It only has four parts. It's finding the music that's hard.

Our school was known as the Fighting Quakers. Then some objections were raised and it was changed to the questionably better "Hustling Quakers". I always wanted Quakie, the mascot, to walk about with gold chains around his neck and a woman on each arm. Maybe it happened. It's not like I attended the sports games.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home