Fuse #8

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Arrival

We have arrived.

It started yesterday. Arriving at the airport with husband in tow, we came to our gate nicely early only to find that the entire NYPL contingent got seats on the same flight as my own. The thought occurred that should our plane crash, New York Public Library would find itself critically short staffed (particularly in the children and YA areas). To top it all off, the flight was 5 hours late, allowing me to read and finish, “Valley of the Wolves” Laura Gallego Garcia as well as “Jump the Scratch” by Sarah Weeks. Reviews forthcoming. On the plus side, Jack Gantos was on my flight with his daughter (I think). I pointed this out to my husband who immediately replied, "Gigantos?". We have now decided the name our first born child must be "Gigantos". Unless it's a girl. Then it'll be Gigantas.

Once we landed it was straight to a dinner at the Sun Ray Grill where husband and I would be meeting the charming ladies of the children’s literature bloggosphere. Amongst them were such notable names as Liz B. of A Chair, A Fireplace and A Tea Cozy fame. Also joining were Carlie Webber of Bergen County, Susan Quinn of Cean County, Jill Ratzan and Annie Wrigg of Columbia, MO. Oh. And Linda Sue Park. Did I mention Linda Sue Park. Yeah. Linda Sue Park was there. Dinner was swell (the servers would nervously ask librarians at other tables whether you needed a degree to work in a public library) and the company charming.

Then it was on to a Booklist presentation called, “What’s So Funny?” featuring Jack Gantos, David Lubar, Lisa Yee, and Mo Willems. We missed the Willems portion (lackaday) but caught Yee and Lubar. Abandoning our company, husband and I sped to our housing, which was going to close its registration doors at 10.

Which brings us to today. I am sitting on the floor of the well-carpeted Morial Convention Center. It's a lovely space, but (as you can see) a little short on seating. I've never seen such huge hoardes of librarians in all my days. It's enough to make you blush. I've chatted up quite a few publishers and gave them my card with my blog on it. HI PUBLISHERS!!!! The smart ones gave me their cards too. And I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of librarians in the world. Look at 'em all! Look at 'em!

Tonight I'll be crashing the aforementioned publishers' cocktail parties and start the serious schmoozing. Until then, it's a big game of find-the-free-stuff. Ten points to Stone Arch Books for the Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

9 Comments:

At 6:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! It is raining pouring old-man-is-snoring here in NYC, and has done so all last night and much of today.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ALA and giveaways! Enjoy!

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Well, you've done a good job of making me jealous.

Keep the reports coming!

- Jay

 
At 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuse,

More, more, more, cried the blog reader. Impressions of the presentation "What's So Funny". What did they say? What did you think? Who impressed you?

Want to know what people are thinking and talking about. Especially those authors and illustrators. Well, and maybe Kathleen Horning, Karen Hoyle or Anita Silvey if you run into them.

KT

 
At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm just working on my post about this now (but will have to continue it later 'cause of 8:30 meeting). I'm at Rutgers SCILS, btw, although if you'd gotten that right on the first try, you'd be one of the first. Most people are like, "This is Jill of...uh...where're you at again?" ;)

(Hi GraceAnne!)

 
At 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glyph of GraceAnne waving back extravagantly at Jill!

 
At 11:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuse,

Do you have your camera with you?

KT

 
At 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, not to be a bug, but Susan is with (O)cean County.

It was really great to meet you in person! :) I have a chronicle of ALA going on Lady Rona, if you want to check it out (since I started commenting from UC80, I figured I'd continue doing so...)

 
At 5:35 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Camera - Yes
Means By Which Camera Might Be Of Some Use - No

Sorry for the fast reports. I have, however, discovered that the lobby of where I am staying has wireless access. Onward I go.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Camille said...

Gantos? You were on the same plane as Gantos? Love that guy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home