Fuse #8

Thursday, July 06, 2006

We Want You! We Want You! We Want You As A New Recruit!

Remember Cobblestone? No? Never read it? Well, it seems as if the latest issue of Cobblestone Magazine is dedicated to the Army and it is NOT going down well. Why? According to this article people are not especially happy with this aspect of the rag:

But most controversial has been the pair of teacher's guides prepared in conjunction with the magazine, which is touted as meeting national middle school performance standards for English and language arts. The classroom guides suggest that teachers invite a soldier, Army recruiter, or veteran to speak to their class and poll students on whether ``they think they might someday want to join the Army."


As Gail Gauthier said, "I'm guessing that it's not often that Cobblestone makes the news".

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I received "Cobblestone," "Cricket" and "World" when I was in second grade. I think the subscriptions were all from the same grandma. I never thought, "Oh goody, Cobblestone," but I did read it from cover to cover.

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I have a copy of the Quaker issue, so that pretty much tells you my feelings on this. Grr.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home