Fuse #8

Monday, October 09, 2006

A Holiday Worth Remembering

Happy Fiorello H. LaGuardia Day everybody!

Not being overly fond of Mr. Columbus, my husband and I have decided the day itself is not to blame. Just the man it happens to be named after. Ideally, then, it should remain holidayish but lose none of its Italian-American charm. Hence this new idol to whom we should all pay tribute. Now admittedly Fiorello didn't do much outside of NYC that y'all could appreciate. Still, I think we should all doff our caps to "The Little Flower" who inspired a Broadway musical (ten points if you know all the words to "I Love a Cop") and may have also participated in politics in some fashion. If you prefer to remember Columbus, however, find yourself a copy of A Coyote Columbus Story (which EVERY children's library should own) and read it. I consider that to be THE best Columbus Day picture book on the market today.

Now while I love holidays and the I-do-not-have-to-workness of them, they often mean a downturn in my blog hits. Hence the following strip:


Amen, brother.
Enjoy Fiorello Day to the hilt, then.

4 Comments:

At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you and your husband dislike Columbus Day? My dislike is personal; he ruined my childhood. If the man had stopped and asked for directions, I would have spent less of my time on my elementary school playground explaining the difference the Indians we learned about in school (teepees, feathers, hosts of the first Thanksgiving) and the ones we didn't (people that looked like me).

 
At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our local Italian organization ran a poster contest that led to some of my early (and only) success in art. I still associate the day with thick layers of brown crayon in the shape of ships.


BTW-Love your blog; librarians rock.

 
At 11:23 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day, too.

 
At 7:47 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Oh, yeah . . . Columbus Day . . . The Holiday That Time Forgot (but which is still remembered for some reason by our government). I celebrated the holiday by spending time wondering why my mail wasn't delivered.

When I was a child, I lived in Columbus, Georgia, which is the only city named "Columbus" in the U.S. which does not observe Columbus Day. And as a child, I couldn't believe what an incredible ripoff that was. I wanted my day off, digumit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home