Fuse #8

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

How Much Do They Go For?

At this moment in time the Donnell Central Children's Room is displaying a lovely array of fabulous picture book art from those books clever enough to appear on NYPL's 100 Books For Reading and Sharing (nope... still not online yet). Everyday I get to walk by an image of Dracula with some spinach caught in his teeth or the fearsome shot of a chicken wielding a cake cutter like it was Excalibur. I don't think about how much this pictures might be worth because I have a hard time remembering that people collect such things. Then I take a trip to Every Picture Tells a Story and it hits me like a pail of bone-cold water. Located in Santa Monica, this gallery specializes in fine kiddie lit art. Fancy yourself a giclee of Leonardo the Terrible Monster? For a mere $250 you may have one of 400 of the things. The studio itself has some fairly impressive events, and I admit to coveting one of those Mary GrandPre images in my spare time. So y'all know where you can go for my birthday shopping next year.

Thanks to Children's Illustration for the link.

2 Comments:

At 1:14 AM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

Before they moved to Santa Monica, I lived three doors away from them. I spent a lot of time admiring art I couldn't afford, reading books on their comfy couch, and chatting with other book lovers. They have a direct "competitor" here in LA called Storyopolis which has another fine, fine collection of stuff to drool over.

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Thank you both! Gregory, this link is terrific.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home