Fuse #8

Monday, December 18, 2006

Clueless

I'd heard about this Nancy Drew movie trailer on the child_lit listserv but only got around to watching it now.

Wow.

I didn't know it was even possible to make Nancy, Bess, and George all blond.

All things considered, it could be worse. It does cause me to reconsider whether or not I should keep pushing for them to film Kiki Strike.

The funny thing is that the "Get a Clue" tag line of the film is also the theme of New York state's 2007 Summer Reading Program.

Ten points for not giving Nancy cleavage in the movie poster, by the way. As you can see, I'm grasping at straws here. Maybe we should all consider what DAJ on the child_lit listserv mentioned in conjunction with this film:
In general, filmed Nancys have been more feminine than their print counterparts. Ilana Nash devotes a chapter of her _American Sweethearts_ to an excellent analysis of the changes between the series and the Warner Brothers movies and the way they weakened Nancy's character. The 1970s TV series didn't stop with just mangling Nancy, but also managed to conflate Bess and George into one person.
I wonder if Borge/Gess was blond.

9 Comments:

At 9:33 AM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

I can't watch it on my work computer. Is Bess still "plump?"

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

 
At 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're not going to touch George with a rainbow pole.
--rams

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

More's the pity.
Come to think of it, name me a single tomboy who has ever graced the silver screen in a children's film. I've decided to start rooting for the film adaptation of Trixie Belden. Call me an optimist.

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

At least she's not in trashy attire.

They went for the younger age on this - I always pictured Nancy more mid-to-late teens than early-teens, which is why the TV movie with Maggie Lawson worked for me.

Bess actually is a healthy size, if Amy Bruckner looks the same that she did on Phil of the Future.

 
At 3:16 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

Just discovered that Nancy Drew Sleuth was a consultant for the film.

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/nancydrewmovie.html

 
At 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maryland already used Clue Into Reading for their 2006 Summer Reading Program.

Have fun with the theme -- we did.

 
At 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming late to the party, but: What. Is. This? Nancy Drew, I think not.

 
At 9:29 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Yeah, I'm not optimistic about the movie based on this trailer.

And I would love to see a Trixie Belden film. Trixie'd kick Nancy's butt any day. Twice on Sundays.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home