Fuse #8

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Come and Dance With Me Michael

I know for a fact that some of you out there are coming to NYC for the holiday season. As you enter this noble burg, however, I will be high-tailing it to Kalamazoo, Michigan for my own private Yuletide soiree.

You may wish to know then what there is to do in New York that comes under the heading of "free". The answer is not much. You're in luck weather-wise, certainly. At the moment I've half a mind to have a serious talk with the weather gods about our heretofore complete and utter lack of snow. So should the temperature continue at this balmy rate, why not check out some of the crazy window displays out there? For example, were you to cavort past the Macy's windows, you might see a story conjured up by none other than Michael Buckley. Not being a native myself, I don't know if this is a trend or not, but all the windows this year have accompanying text to go along with their flashy shows. While showing my mother-in-law around town I found myself staring in abject horror at the text accompanying the Saks 5th Avenue windows. They look nice, but happen to contain some of the most painful writing ever concocted by someone who thought they knew what constituted a children's story.

Buckley's prove to be better. Bear in mind, however, that anything he wrote had to be approved and vetted *shudder* by the Macyites. Still, I think I may have to go over and check them out if only to get the taste of Saks out of my mouth once and for all. Bleaghh!

Thanks to Alison Fargis for the link.

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM , Blogger John Rozum said...

Alas, if only I had their budget. In the meantime feel free to swing by to see my humble penguin display.

When in Kalamazoo, if you get a chance, pop down to Ann Arbor to see my big Children's section display (which I thank you for plugging a couple months back) at the Shaman Drum bookshop. I'll even buy you a drink.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

You make a tempting offer indeed. I'll consider it. I do love me my penguins. And my drinks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home