Fuse #8

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Award Winning Links

I just happened to stumble on these as of late and thought that they might be of some interest to you.

First off is some info direct from Cynthia Lord's blog. Here's what she said when she received the Newbery call: "As Jason would've said in RULES, I am touched by this More than words." *sniffle* Many thanks to Jen Robinson for the link.

In terms of the Newbery winner proper, let's look at this from the perspective of the book's illustrator. Here are Matt Phelan's early cover sketches for The Higher Power of Lucky. I'm kinda attached to picture #1.

And I'm sure you already saw this, but the Publisher's Weekly article on Patron and Wiesner is of particular interest. I just wish that I'd thought to tape The Today Show segment. On Wiesner the article noted:
The next morning he headed to The Today Show, where he's an old hand by now. "I've been through all the hosts," he says. "Jane Pauley for Tuesday, Katie Couric for The Three Pigs, and this time we had the gang [Ann Curry, Al Roker and Natalie Morales]! I thought maybe I'd get Matt this time."

Yeah, well. Nice work if you can get it.

Speaking of Flotsam, check out this book trailer a buddy of my husband produced not that long ago. I can't imagine how hard picture book trailers must be to create. This reminded me of a Reading Rainbow segment, with all the cross fades and slightly animated illustrations.

And it sounds silly, but I only just now found the webcast of the announcements yesterday. Bon appetit, m'hearties.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The part in the PW article about Susan Patron going to work and watching the webcast with her coworkers knowing the whole time that she won is the best Newbery story ever. Could you imagine? Even with my fully-stocked survival kit backpack (my favorite part of the novel, incidentally, along with the scrotum passage that -- much to my bafflement -- has so many people in a tizzy), I don't think I would have been able to go to work, so much as go to work and hang out with everyone waiting for the announcement. Surreal, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home