Fuse #8

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Folderol and Fiddle-Dee-Dee

I'm afraid that not going to work has a detrimental effect on this blog. Fortunately I'm back at work today and ready to start fighting crime or whatever it is I do at Donnell (I've forgotten... it has something to do with rabbits, right?). UNfortunately, you're going to have to put up with a little more self-indulgence until that happens. First and foremost, I direct you to a blogger I've not seen much of until now. LibrariAnne has been around since September 29, 2003 but it wasn't until I saw her post No Blogging Allowed? that I found something that couldn't help but catch my eye. Me! Ms. Heathen (I personally believe she should have named her blog "The Heathen Tome") notes the possible shift in ALSC policy towards committee members that blog. She sites my blog as an example. As you will recall, I removed all my reviews of 2006 Newbery contenders (sans picture books) in November. Ms. Heathen questions any policy change that would stifle bloggers from reviewing while serving a committee. This will be a topic to watch in the coming months. I hope that if a policy change does happen that it's announced properly so that we all know about it.

In other news, Jane Yolen recently gave me a shout out on her blog. I'm in the "Distracting busy" section on the Jan 14-20, 2007 post. Again... that would be a good name for a blog.

Also, I learn from our faithful eBay bookseller at Bookseller Blog that, "First editions of Newbery and Caldecott Medal winners typically sell for a premium. Watch for them!" Well noted. I wonder what one signed by all the Newbery committee members would go for. Kidding! Kidding! That puppy's getting handed down to my grandchildren someday.

For fun, here's some proof that I was actually on the Newbery committee in the first place. Not that any of you have doubted it thus far, but what if I've been scamming you all this time? Well, here you may see me with author Kirby Larson, the same day she found out she won an Honor for Hattie Big Sky . . .




... and here's my committee. Ain't they swell? Nicest people on the planet, these. Not a single person was ever nasty or anything but kind, committed, and overwhelmingly intelligent. I'm the one trying desperately to win this year's Best Posture Award.



5 Comments:

At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ONE dude on the committee, huh? Is that the usual ratio, I wonder?

 
At 11:58 AM , Blogger fibercontent said...

Next year: three dudes.

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger J. L. Bell said...

Does the committee want to look like it meets in a smoke-filled room? I imagine not, so the photographer may wish to invest in a stronger flash.

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, that was the sole male's camera. The offical picture was done straight on (I think I'm actually looking at it) with lots of pretty flashing lights. I like the idea of the smoke filled room, though. Perhaps next year's committee could pick up on it.

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger Anne said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! I hope to do a follow-up on the whole blogging thing soon, but I haven't been able to track down any confirm-able info just yet.

PS. I love 'The Heathen Tome' - I hereby vow to use it somehow. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home