Fuse #8

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Chickens to the Rescue - Royal Command Performance

Whether you want 'em or not, I present unto you the up-tempo rendition of John Himmelman's magnificent and easily adapted Chickens to the Rescue: A Play In 3 Acts, as performed by my homeschooler bookgroup. I look positively terrible, but at least this'll make me easier to spot if you're trying to find me at ALA later this week. I don't expect to improve.

Act One:

I am distraught. Oh horror of horrors, I've dropped my watch down the well. I have also, apparently, mislaid my hairbrush and walked through a city-sized hurricane.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hard to say which hurts more.
In any case, there no need to fear since (and here you have to imagine Yakkety Sax playing full blast)...

CHICKENS TO THE RESCUE!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chickens run ....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chickens save the watch and scamper off. Act Two and the chickens have also given me a delicious dinner when I am too tired to cook (I was playing all the humans). Act Three and I spill aforementioned delicious dinner. No response. I creep over to the Stage Left area and voila!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sleepy chickens deserving of a rest.
So I pop on over to clean it up myself but lo and behold I'm swamped in pigs! Pigs are to the rescue now!

And thus we run off...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And the librarians are adequately amused, which is all I ever wanted in the first place.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how we amuse ourselves at New York Public Library. Those of you wishing to give my chickens a professional gig on Vaudeville may direct all inquiries and offers to me.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Color me impressed. I bow to you as a Master Storytime Programmer, and lay at your feet my "Chickens are Funny" storytime featuring Elinor and Violet: The Tale of Two Naughty Chickens, I Bought a Baby Chick, Minerva Louise, and now, Chickens to the Rescue. You are an inspiration.

Oh, and nice to see your face :-)

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

That looks adorable.

Bark, George and The Turnip are fun to perform as well.

Do you see a lot of homeschoolers at Donnell? Obviously, I know there are homeschoolers everywhere (we have many in northern VA), but how "big" is homeschooling in New York?

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger Dan McCoy said...

Aw, you look fine, other than apparently auditioning for a migrane commercial.

Regards, your music consultant.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Blue Rose Girls said...

Well done! I also must comment on your fine book selection sitting on the table!

meghan

 
At 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show!
Seeing you in action makes me miss teaching elementary school.

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Awww. Y'all are sweet.

We get a fair amount of homeschoolers at Donnell since I started the bookgroup. The community in New York is, as I understand it, rather large but very spread out. I see only a tiny segment of the grander population.

And yes, Dan, I owe it all to you. Who else could have come up with the name "Yakkety Sax"? A sweeter 35 seconds I've never spent.

Oh, and I should point out, Meghan, that after my boss presented your book, the kids wanted to perform "Aliens Are Coming" as well. Can't you just picture them in big green mumus with googley eyes coming out of their foreheads. Maybe another year.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger Lisa Yee said...

Love those chickens!

 
At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first photo looks like you're packing your suitcase for the ALA meetings.

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I know I posted a comment here earlier. Cruel, cruel Blogger. It'll probably show up sometime tomorrow.

 
At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, you look much like a thinner version of Maggie Gyllenhall there.

And the production looks like it was clucktacular -- the kids seem to be having a flaptastic time. Congrats!

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Maggie Gyllenhall, eh? I am informing my Maggie-lovin' husband of the fact immediately. I saw her once at a movie theater here in town, which was neat. There's not much you can say to someone like that though.

 
At 4:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see them do ALIENS! I'll help make the costumes!

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Cute, cute, cute, Betsy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home