Fuse #8

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Getting Your Children To Watch a Something With a Seussian Pedigree

I'm all for retro-children's television programming, but please explain to me how this works as a regular series:
Adapted from a book by Dr. Seuss and a 1951 Academy Award-winning short film, Gerald McBoing Boing revolves around a kid who speaks only in sound effects. The six-year-old can mimic almost any sound in the world, and he uses them in playful mischief around his hometown, a charming and carefree suburb. Boomerang has access to all 26 episodes, but will air only 18 during its first rotation.
Oooo-kaaay...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:48 PM , Blogger John Rozum said...

I don't know if these are new, but there were probably this many Gerald McBoing-Boing cartoons made as quick follow-ups to the original 1951 film.

A bunch of them were included as extras on the 2-disc version of the "Hellboy" DVD. There's also a "Gerald McBoing Boing" DVD out, but I don't know how many cartoons are included.

From the ones I saw, they didn't get stale. They were also about 7 minutes long.

I remember when the Simpsons were still on "The Tracy Ullman Show" and they announced they'd become a regular half-hour tv series, I thought the same thing. What are they going to do with these characters for a whole show every week?

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I wondered if this was the original Boing Boing series as well, but it's not. Boomerang is revamping both this and SuperDog. Makes sense considering their retro look.

I had the same response you did via the Simpsons, but towards The Colber Report instead. It was just a little 3-minute short to begin with. The idea of expanding it into a show seemed ludicrous. Shows what I know.

 
At 4:32 AM , Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

I can hardly wait. I LOVED Gerald McBoing Boing and remember watching it on TV. Given my dysfunctional family, communicating in a way that could not be corrected, edited or challenged was inspirational.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home