Fuse #8

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Caspian Update

The Good News:
They just cast Prince Caspian and he looks like this:


... rather than this ...


The Bad News:

Apparently the new Caspian, one Ben Barnes, walked out on a professional show he was doing so that he could take the role, leaving his fellows in the lurch.
Ben Barnes abandoned the production this week, telling his fellow actors that he had been offered the title role in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Disney’s £50 million sequel to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

[...]

A source close to the production team at Wyndham’s Theatre, where the second revival of The History Boys has been running since December 2006, said: “Ben told everyone that he had been offered a three-film deal to play Caspian. It’s the chance of a lifetime, but the National are furious at him for leaving them in the lurch and are thinking of suing him for breach of contract.”
Score thus far for those of you keeping track at home.

Disney: 1.
Theatrical productions on the West End: 0.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said disagreement and discussion was a good thing on your web log, so I venture this opinion: Yuck! I don't like the feminine, boy-band look that movies push on girls as "hot." At least the poor fellow on the book cover has character and seems eminently approachable.

 
At 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Note: of course my subject and verb didn't agree in the previous comment. This is why my kids call me an Alleged Writer. For the record, "disagreement and discussion ARE good things.")

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

Of course I find myself wishing they'd gone for an even more dark or Asian-eyed actor to counter the story's anti-Calormene thread. But the new guy definitely represents a movement away from the fair-haired northern Narnian crusader of yore, so I'm glad. No use hoping he comes with a non-European accent -- he's probably upper-crust Brit no doubt.

Sigh. I'm a lonely member in the Calormenes who love Narnia club; which is why Aravis (Horse and His Boy) is my favorite Lewis heroine. My philosophy with classics of yore is that readers of today can enjoy them as a good yarn, extending grace to the author as a product of his or her time; I'm hoping readers down the road will do the same with my blind spots, circa 2007. I remember doing this dance of discernment as a kid with The Secret Garden, when F.H.B. described my people as dark-skinned heathens. I registered her mistake and read on.

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Why on earth would it be a three film deal??? Sure, Caspian comes into The Silver Chair, but only when he's ancient...

Confused in Providence

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger RC said...

how funny...i like your score card.

There's some other good casting news too! I'm very excited about Peter Dinklage being in this film!

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Perfect pictures. I'm laughing out loud.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home