Fuse #8

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Huxley, the Dark Side, and Regrets of a Rhyming Nature

I'm going to preface this by saying that I depressed myself all day when I discovered that we came THIS close to calling this subject The Great Scrotum Debate of '08. We almost got there, people. Oh lackaday, lackaday.

So here's something to cheer me up then. Both Julius Lester and Neil Gaiman have chosen to weigh in on the topic on their sites. Mr. Lester quotes Aldous Huxley with a stirring, “God is even in one’s own posterior when at last one has crawled full circle and seen it revealed in its full glory.” Gaiman, for his part, says, "I've decided that librarians who would decline to have a Newbery book in their libraries because they don't like the word scrotum are probably not real librarians (whom I still love unconditionally). I think they're rogue librarians who have gone over to the dark side." Amen, brother.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:52 AM , Blogger Saipan Writer said...

I liked Neil Gaimon's comment on Brits' use of "dog's bollocks!"

I've added my own comments on the topic at my blog, including a look at the next possible target for objection and a brief note about unintended consequences from the scrotum debate. Feel free to stop by and read, comment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home