Fuse #8

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sale! Sale! Sale!

I get a lot of junk mail in my oh-so-awful Hotmail account. Hotmail is convinced that no matter how many times I've said no, I really really need a degree from Phoenix University. I've informed Hotmail that this is not the case. I've explained to it that I have an MLIS degree that I'm perfectly content with. I've held said degree up to my computer screen so that Hotmail will see it and stop letting Phoneix University spam into my mail. Nothing works.

So when I saw a post with the title "Fwd: Winter sale: 50% off selected fiction and non-fiction", I was not impressed. Not even when I saw that whoever was writing me knew my name. Then I got over myself and actually read the e-mail.

Oooooohhhh.

Remember the New York Review of Books? Well they've this sweet habit of republishing classic children's book titles when no one else will. The Lost Island by Eilis Dillon. Mistress Masham's Repose by T.H. White. Captains of the City Streets by Esther Averill. The Wind On the Moon by Eric Linklater. That sort of thing.

So basically NYRB is having a big old 50% off sale, where you can buy any of those four books I just mentioned for half off. Might as well go buy yourself a classic. I hear nothing but good things about the T.H. White book, after all. I keep meaning to read it myself, but have never gotten around to it. You'll have to let me know how it is.

The sale ends March 11th, by the way. FYI.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great! (Mistress Masham's Repose, that is.) I enjoyed it highly as a late-elementary and middle-grader. Haven't re-read it recently, though.

White was definitely using a lighter touch than in "The Once and Future King" (which I also loved as a middle-grader).

 
At 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just cost me $33.50.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home