Fuse #8

Monday, March 26, 2007

Editing V. Publicity In a Fight to the Finish

Kind of feels like that old "Would you rather" game, doesn't it? Well think about it. What's more important to you (taking into account whatever type of "you" you are). Would you prefer premier top-notch editing that cannot be compared to, or do you think what a book really needs is a fabuloso marketing campaign that sells your books like billy-o. One Justine Larbalestier poses the query and the comments are pouring in. Where lies your little heart?

Thanks to Shaken & Stirred for the link.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM , Blogger Gail Gauthier said...

Since I've pushed editing and editors at my own blog, I'll vote for an editor. I was a member of a writing group when I started my last book, which was eventually submitted to and editing by my long-time editor. (Who has since left the house.) Maybe it was my group (I was the only published writer in it), but I really don't think there's any comparison. I've read some pretty weak books that included lengthy thank yous at the end to first readers.

A good marketing campaign is a crapshoot. Sometimes you just can't sell a mediocre or worse book. And, of course, sometimes you can. Your best shot at success is to produce the best book possible, and an editor can help you do that. The marketing people don't come into the picture until the book is done.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home