Fuse #8

Thursday, March 01, 2007

I Mean, Can They Even See Colors At That Point?

Any website that opens with a gigantic pop-up ad front and center has my instant and undivided skepticism. Doubly so when I see a big bold title like LITERACY BREAKTHROUGH: Children as Young as Nine Months Are Reading With "Your Baby Can Read!(R)," the Revolutionary Early Language Development Program From Smart Kids(R). Which I don't find too different from those books which claim your dog can read too. Honestly, is there anything out there that can't read? How 'bout puffins? Shall we go teach our puffins to read?

Seriously, though, can anyone confirm that a 3 month-year-old can read? Aren't they a bit wobbly for that? I'm all for reading from Day One to little 'uns, but my credulity, she is being stretched here.

Thanks to Jen Robinson's Book Page for the link.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:19 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Don't get me started on my tirades against pushing children to learn things before they're developmentally ready. Grrf.

 
At 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A bit wobbly for that." Ha! I love it.

 
At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you talking puffins the birds, or puffins the cereal? Because my box of puffins reads to me while I eat breakfast. I don't know about those birds, though.

 
At 9:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is total madness, isn't it? I was a bit skeptical, to put it mildly, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home