Fuse #8

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Castles and Fairies (Which I Shall Deem Sufficiently Kidlit Enough)

Work has been monumental this week. Through the roof. Stuff upon stuff upon work upon stuff. Your poor little Fuse #8 blog is tired and I'm just not finding the links I need. I guess I can keep pulling out some reviews if worst comes to worst.

That said, this is neat. A little background first, though. All you really need to know are two facts about me:

#1: I think Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer is the finest fantasy title I've seen in a long long time.

#2: I used to work at the Jefferson Market Branch of the New York Public Library System. I'm a touch fanatical about it, truth be told. Look at it:


What word comes to mind? Castle. Friggin' Greenwich Village castle. It was actually a courthouse once, but to my mind it'll always be a fortress.

Right. So you've established both Fact #1 and Fact #2 squarely in your cranium, yes? Well not long ago I received some links to these bizarre Urban Fairy Doors. Cute, huh? Yeah, so I'm not all airy-fairy normally, but I appreciate fine craftwork and some of these are pretty sweet. Then I see one that says Jefferson Market on it and my heart does this little pitter-pat.

Well, suffice it to say, they weren't talking about MY Jefferson Market. Lackaday. However, the Jefferson Market they are discussing seems to have enough innate drama in and of itself.

Thanks to author Sara Holmes for the links.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:18 AM , Blogger rams said...

You do realize these doors are in Ann Arbor, Michigan? I saw the newest one last month -- in the children's room of the Ann Arbor Public Library! (It all connects.)

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I do love that they connect. And well done Ann Arbor Public Library children's room! Worth a visit?

 
At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rams and I almost got to see the fairy door in the Ann Arbor Public Library when we were there last month, but alas they'd had to close up before we were finished with the book signing part with Stephanie. We'd spent the afternoon fruitlessly searching for one in the wild.

 
At 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

connections upon connections...
My wife is a kindergarten teacher and storyteller, I am an illustrator. Together we are writing and illustrating children's (and grownup's) books.

http://urban-fairies.com/BOOKREPORT.html

http://urban-fairies.com/Whos.Behind.the.Fairy.Doors.html

Now I NEEEEEED to go to Jefferson Market Branch of the New York Public Library System!

 
At 1:54 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I get similar pitter-patters when books allude to the Tompkins Square Library. I will submit that the Jefferson Market library is way, way cooler, though.

 
At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the little Pooh door featured in Roger Sutton's blog today count as a fairy door?

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Not unless it opens on the other side.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home