Fuse #8

Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Buddy and Me?

If blogs were books, then this topic would tie-in nicely to the overarching theme of Fuse #8. Mainly, whether or not hanging out with the workers in the publishing industry is a good or bad thing. I think good. Some think bad. A similar, if unrelated, topic comes to us via Nextbook. In an article entitled On Literary Love the byline reads, "What happens when the writer you admire most becomes your friend?"

It's different for writers. If you're particularly inspired by a single individual, how odd would it feel to not only meet them but to suddenly become their buddy? Surely this happens in the kidlit world on occasion. Only with us, it becomes a little more extreme. If you read someone and were shaped by their books as a child and then became their pal, how would that affect your writing as a whole? I wish I could pull out a piece talking about just that, but nothing comes immediately to mind. Anyone know of a story that runs along these lines?

Thanks to Shaken and Stirred for the link.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger Little Willow said...

Nearly nine years ago, eons before I had a book blog, even before I started working in the bookstore, I started reading and enjoying Christopher Golden's original novels. We exchanged emails. A few months later, I became his webmaster. He has become a close friend who looks out for me and encourages me to pursue my dreams. Simply put, he's awesome.

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Do you ever review his novels? Does it feel weird if you do?

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Such a relationship exists between Brian Selznick and Remy Charlip. Charlip's books were among Selznick's childhood favorites, and now the two of them are good friends.

Selznick says that he has always been influenced by Charlip's picture books, but I wonder if this was especially so for the creation of The Invention of Hugo Cabret. In a lecture Selznick gave in here in Pittsburgh recently, he credited Charlip's picture books for being part of the inspiration behind the wordless illustrated portions of Cabret.

Also, Selznick asked Charlip to be the model for the illustrations of Georges Melies in the novel.

It's a beautiful dovetailing of two talented minds, no?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home