Fuse #8

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pick Up Your Well-Sharpened #2 Pencils. Today is Test Day.

Internet quizzes are equal parts bane and boon. Much of the time you know exactly how one answer or another is going to affects your scores. And yet, I cannot escape them. We're staying on topic by including one that's literary too.

Now after taking the following three quizzes I found that my personality yields one thing: Violently different results. Quiz #1 was not a surprise. It's the old Nerd? Geek? Dork? Test. My credentials, I assure you, are impeccable. If I had a scanner I could even go so far as to show you a teenaged picture of myself wearing granny glasses and a puffy shapeless sweatshirt roughly three sizes too large. My hair was bad, my choice of footwear worse still, and I liked to listen to showtunes in the privacy of my room. So what does that rate me?

Your Score: Pure Nerd

52 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 34% Dork


For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.

You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendencies associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Congratulations!
*sniff* Aw shucks. I couldn't have done it without a steady diet of academia. I wonder if the Nerdfighters will ever take me in and make me one of their own.

So I'm feeling nerdy, which is good. I'd much rather be a nerd than a dork, after all. So with that in mind I play the old what Dickens character are you? game. And the baffling result?







What Dickens Character Are You?





Estella Havisham from Great Expectations. You were brought up by a guardian who did some serious mental damage to you. You're beautiful and use your beauty to torture men, including Pip. Inside you're probably just a scared, little girl. Honey, it's okay to be weak. Let people in!!
Take this quiz!





Shucks. And I was so hoping to end up a Mr. McChoakumchild too.

No, seriously though, this is weird. First of all, whose idea was it to throw up that gawdawful Gwyneth Paltrow poster for this book? I'd much rather look like this:


I'd settle for being the fellow in the silk hat too, for that matter. Anything but to be Estella. I've some bad news, mom. Apparently I've some serious mental damage going on. Better break it to dad slowly.

Okay. So I'm a Nerdy Estella. That.... huh. Well let's go for something safe then, shall we? How lovely. It's the What Flower are You? quiz.


I am a
Canna


What Flower
Are You?




THAT'S IT! You can call me a nerd. You can imply I share something with that whore of Babylon, Estella Havisham, but when you go about calling me a canna you have gone TOO FAR my friend.

So....

Anyone happen to know what a canna is?

Thanks to Big A little a and Your Neighborhood Librarian respectively.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:55 AM , Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

I don't know what a canna is either, but apparently I also am one. Cannas (Cannae?) of the world, unite!

And I'm someone named Walter Gay, from a book (Dombey and Son) I never even heard of before....

(I just checked Wiki for canna; they're related to bananas and ginger. We keep good company, it seems.)

 
At 5:54 AM , Blogger rams said...

I know cannas, and you, sir, are no canna.

And serious mental damage, maybe, but you had GREAT hair!

 
At 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cannas are large, showy, gorgeous flowers. Georgia O'Keeffe painted a splendid one that you can find through Google images.

I was a lily. I think I would rather be a rose or a sunflower. But maybe not.

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Would you care to switch? I've always preferred lillies anyway.

 
At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Joe Normal (despite/because of having scored higher than 99% of those in my age/gender group in EACH of nerdiness, geekiosity AND dork point)

I am Arthur Clennam from Little Dorrit. Which doesn't seem so bad from the description but I have to admit I haven't read Little Dorrit.

I am Daffodil. Which probably fits. (Rams? Any comments on that?) Alas, I long for a dark side...

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

69 % Nerd. Damn. It's that "lifelong learner" thing isn't it? That or being a good speller - I should never admit that!

Cannas are big and showy but not hardy - you have to dig em up and put them in the basement all winter, then replant them in the spring.

Still, I'm a sunflower: giant, bristly, unsubtle - yet cheerful!

 
At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I am apparently very very nerdy: 86 % Nerd, 30% Geek, 39% Dork.

That's rather sad.

 
At 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I'm also Esther Summerson from Bleak House, which is not bad at all.

 
At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got exactly the same Nerd/Geek/Dork numbers as you EXCEPT that I'm 34% Geek/47% Dork. Yep. Big ol' Dorky Nerd here.

 
At 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another pure nerd: 69 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 21% Dork

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home