Fuse #8

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Video Sunday - Authors in their Natural Habitat

Well, that was the original intention, anyway. I was going to find a series of interesting links involving authors and their daily lives. For example, here is the charming Cecil Castellucci talking about her life as it relates to her new YA novel Beige. I love, Ms. Castellucci. She stopped by my library one day in search of Mo Willems (this is true) and I had the opportunity to chat with her. I want to be her friend.



Remember, I don't review YA, so I'll never be able to give my opinion on her newest, but for a book that I DID review, check out her new graphic novel The Plain Janes, which is completely child appropriate and deserves a glance.

Moving on, proof positive that Neil Gaiman is charm incarnate.



Two facts come to mind. The fact that he evinces no fear of the large furry rodent flying about his head proves that he IS Neil Gaiman. The fact that he has a bat in his house establishes that, yes, he does indeed live in the Midwest.

Well, so that was my intention with today's Video Sunday. And then I saw that Galleycat had posted the YouTube preview of the French adaptation of Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis. The French speakers amongst you will appreciate this.



After that, everything broke down completely. Animation seemed a good way to go. Eric Berlin had linked to a nice and wholly illegal version of Calvin & Hobbes (which tied in nicely to the Chicken Spaghetti discussion on old C&H earlier this week. I was going to put it here. Heck, I copied the URL and everything. But look what happens when you click on it now.



Looks like old I-won't-sue Watterson actually brought action against whoever created this. Color me disappointed. Only a book trailer for a picture book could cheer me up now.



That's the stuff. Sent by illustrator Brian Floca himself no less.

And, for those of you who may have been a bit disappointed by the latest Spiderman film, take comfort. Here's a look at a bit of Spiderman ala Japan that is so oddly charming, I know I would have adored this film as a kid.



Because what is more children's literature related than comic books? This came from the Sandbox with love. I love how the woman could only memorize one line for the show.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:07 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

One wee correction: bats aren't rodents. They belong to the order called Chiroptera, which means "hand-wing." They've more in common with humans than they have with mice (though many of them have those cute mouse-like faces).

Neil Gaiman is gallant, though.

 
At 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second correction: Persepolis was originally written and published *in* French, so it's the English edition that's the adaption. The French is the original.

Do bats not happen in other parts of the country? I just thought that was normal. I live very near Gaiman, so bats are a fairly normal thing here, but it never occurred to me that they may not be normal elsewhere.

 
At 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then again, since Persepolis is being made into a film from a book, it is an adaptation. And since it's citizens of France who are doing the adapting, it is French. So one could say that it's a French adaptation. If one were looking for an out.

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

One is. One is indeed.

I think the bats-are-rodents idea harkens back to the Calvin & Hobbes where Calvin keeps insisting in his "report" that they are, in fact, insects.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home