Fuse #8

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Carrey On

In the eternal quest to create a decent movie out of a picture book (a fun debate in and of itself) the good people of 20th Century Fox have taken it upon themselves to recreate Horton Hears a Who with (wait for it) Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell. Carrey is Horton, Carrell a Who. Being of sound mind and body, I do not think this such a bad idea. Unlike the worst children's book adaptation hitherto known to man, we'll know if the CGIsters do well if they avoid the requisite scatalogical joke in the trailer. If there is just one elephant fart joke in the preview I'm lopping of the movie's head and declaring it a flop point blank. I do, however, like the fact that they already bought the rights to its "sequel" Horton Hatches the Egg. Anyone want to place bets on who does the voice of that lazy bird Mayzie. I'm thinking Angelina Jolie.
Thanks to Mother Reader for the link.

2 Comments:

At 11:46 PM , Blogger John L said...

I'm glad it will be animated, and not the scary makeup of past Seuss movies. And I WOULD like to see a discussion sometime of why it's so hard to turn a picture book into a feature-length film.

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Bill said...

That's my fear (and why I brought it to MR's attention in the first place) -- that in the rush to "add" material to fill out a full-length feature, they'll destroy the core of the tale itself. After the last Seuss adaptations (Grinch and Cat), I'm not convinced Hollywood can do 'em right. Horton does have more "plot," so it may not be fair to make a direct comparision, but I'm still wary.

Carrey and Carell are talented, yes. But it's the screenwriter and director who'll make or break this one. Though I do have (qualified) faith in Blue Sky, so there is that in its favor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home