Fuse #8

Thursday, November 16, 2006

And the Winnner Is...

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor To the Nation (Volume 1: The Pox Party) by HMOCL M.T. Anderson has won the National Book Award in the Young People's Literature Category for 2006. Well done all around. I have a copy of the book sitting on my desk. It is staring at me malevolently, as if to say, "Why won't you read me? You know it'll give you nightmares for weeks and quite possible twist how you view the world for the rest of your natural born life, but I won a freakin' award. Come ON!" (please read the previoius statement entirely in the voice of Gob from Arrested Development)

I'll give in eventually. I have to. Until then I think I'll just locate a nice safe picture book and cuddle up with it instead. Ah, Thumper.

Oh. In some related news, all the people nominated in the Young People's Literature Category were at my library on Tuesday. But they were there at 10:30 or so and I didn't work until 12 and... okay, so I kinda forgot to go. My bad. I'll just say that they were all YA anyway and let myself off the hook with that. Do you still love me?

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

I do still love you, but you missed the best part of the National Book Awards story. M.T. Anderson mentioned American Born Chinese and the talk of the blogosphere. I think that means us! Well, not you and I exactly, but still. I put the quote on my site - check it out.

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Seems only fair considering the nice words Mr. Yang had to say about "Octavian Nothing" when that "Wired" article came out saying that graphic novels shouldn't be nominated for the National Book Award. Which, to my mind, means that Mr. Anderson should seriously consider writing a GN of his own.

 
At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frighteningly, I found I WAS reading with the voice of Gob in my head (before reading your comment).

ON didn't give me nightmares, but then I'm not prone to them...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home