Fuse #8

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Prince Caspian Casting

Y'all may have noticed that as the end of the year draws nigh I've been posting a bit more on filmed versions of children's books. Much of this has to do with the fact that without being able to review the chapter books I'm currently reading, I need to concentrate my efforts elsewhere. The outlet of my frustration, therefore, will be the movie industry and how they mangle our babies.

Anywho, Narniafans.com had an interview recently with Douglas Gresham about the upcoming Prince Caspian film. You remember Gresham, right? He's that grandson of C.S. Lewis. You may prefer this Cinematical wrap-up up the interview instead, mind you. The nice thing about Cinematical is that they pay loving tribute to the children's books these movies are based on. As author Mark Beall says regarding that loony choice publishers made to reprint the Narnia books "in order", "If The Magician's Nephew was really the best story to introduce the Narnia world with, don't you think the filmmakers would have gone there to start?" Right on, brother.

In other news, a Potter film is giving a tourism boost to some out of the way spaces. No, not that Potter film. The other one. You know what I mean.

6 Comments:

At 10:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of films, have you seen this? I can't believe I'm directing someone towards a Disney blog, but my husband sent it my way. He probably found it on one of his Geeks'-Tidbits-sharing type sites (I say that lovingly), and it's funny. Perhaps you've already shared it with folks, and I maybe missed it. Anyway, amusing stuff.

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh, I love those things. Technically it's easier to cut a lighthearted film into something horrific than it is to make a horror film lighthearted. Still, great great link. Have you seen the one that turns The Shining into a family comedy? Or Jaws into a loving tale of two friends and their best shark?

 
At 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but I'm laughing out loud now at the very suggestion. I'll have to look for them.

 
At 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, found them, thanks to my husband. Very funny, esp. The Shining. And West Side Story as a zombie flick -- funny, even though (dare I admit?) I've never seen that movie.

Thanks for the laugh.

 
At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud owner of the boxed set with hideous covers in the original order...Curious, as always, to see how they manage to visualize the book.

And I think Gresham is Lewis' step-son.

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ooo. A rare item indeed. Which hideous covers would those be? I swear, I thought Chris Van Allsburg walked on water until I saw his interpretation of the series. Give me Michael Hague any day of the week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home