Fuse #8

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Off-Topic Madness

Legos have nothing to do with children's literature.
There has never been a great work of Lego lit. No Lego picture book has ever wowed the populace at large.
So why do I love them so?
Perhaps, as I found through Oz and Ends because of things like this. M.C. Escher gone Lego-style.

And while we're off-topic (I guess that today is official day of the week for such things) check out the awesome carved crayons via Eric Berlin.

In other news, I know you guys love love love your Library Thing. I've never made use of it, but this might almost convince me to do so. Did you know it had an UnSuggester?
Unsuggester takes "people who like this also like that" and turns it on its head. It analyzes the seven million books LibraryThing members have recorded as owned or read, and comes back with books least likely to share a library with the book you suggest. The unsuggestions come from LibraryThing data, not from Amazon.
Works too. I typed in The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (which I like) and found that the Unsuggester doesn't think that I would care for Women by Charles Bukowski, Systematic theology by Louis Berkhof, and Seeing and savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper. For kicks, type in "The Holy Bible". I think you'll be slightly amazed. Thanks to Dan.

Finally what do the words "arguably"? "Presently"? "Circus"? "Homonym," "love," and "floor" all have in common? Someone at some time has asked that they be removed from the dictionary. But don't take my word for it. Listen to the poor person who has to field their requests.

1 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I should catalog my library. It would throw off the curve. I read the Bible, other Christian books (Jan Karon, Tim Kimmel, Mary DeMuth), along with Stephen King, Harry Potter, Jennifer Weiner. . . . I type in one book that I've read, and the book unsuggested are also of a genre that I read and enjoy. I guess I'm either eclectic or totally unprincipled.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home