Fuse #8

Friday, January 12, 2007

A Bitter Pill To Swallow

A new Lemony Snicket book? Despite my mother's distaste for the his work (read beyond the first book, mom!), I am a devoted fan of the man's talents. The thought that he may have a new book ah-coming just makes my tiny heart go pitter-pat. Thus it is, thus it evermore shall be:
Life is a turbulent journey, fraught with confusion, heartbreak, and inconvenience. Unfortunately, this book will not help.

Instead, this book of wit and wisdom offers a selection of alarming but inescapable truths from the work of Lemony Snicket, along with selections from his unpublished papers and remarks he has made at dinner parties and anarchist riots.
I got two words for you: Graduation Present. Forget giving you darling niece or nephew Oh, the Places You'll Go, Winnie-the-Pooh, or other "meaningful" works of kidlit. Give the little buggers this. It'll toughen their hides and lightly salt their tender souls.

Further info found thither.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:47 AM , Blogger Monica Edinger said...

Humph. "Oh sure, I accept that The Unfortunate Events are at an end. But Mr. Snicket is still out there seeking answers just as we readers are. Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can’t Avoid is evidently coming in May and Mr. Snicket’s representative, Daniel Handler, has clearly indicated that we can expect more from him in the future." http://medinger.wordpress.com/2006/11/05/respecting-snicket/

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up. I love this series, too (and yes, Mom, you should read past the first book. They keep getting better as the series goes along)

I am a little concerned that part of this book is "a selection of alarming but inescapable truths from the work of Lemony Snicket," and I hope that this isn't just a repackaging of old content designed to take advantage of the popularity of the series. Kind of like those TV episodes that consist of a bunch of flashbacks from previous episodes. I hope I'm wrong, but color me cynical.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Having seen his work on the unauthorized autobiography and "The Beatrice Letter" I don't think there's any cause for concern. If there's one thing he does well, it's new material.

 
At 12:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya got me wrong, kid. I don't have "a distate" for his work; I think he's funny, wry, trenchant, amusing. I just have this kink about children in peril -- can't take it. And since his wry, trenchant, delightfully written books are about nothing but... well, we're star-crossed. Not to be. Pipped at the post.

Alas.

(mom)

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah... but did you not stop after book number one? You could even skip the first five books and then take it from when the kids begin to get a grip on their own situation (albeit with some mixed results). I mean, I think you'd really adore them if you ... "pipped at the post"? What does "pipped at the post" mean?

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Monica Edinger said...

Pipped at the post? Lemony, we found Beatrice! She's none other than Fuse#8's mom.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home