Fuse #8

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I Love the Term, "A Wal-Mart Middle Earth"

I haven't gotten around to watching the new Bridge To Terabithia movie quite yet. Do you know how hard it is to justify seeing a children's film in a city where your average ticket price is $10.75? I've received some mixed reactions from people who have seen the film already too. One of my fellow Newbery committee members enjoyed it quite a lot. Ditto a girl who came in yesterday with an ash cross on her forehead. But then there was the patron who explained to me in minute detail just how much she didn't like the film. And the reviews have been mixed, to say the least. It's received a relatively high 84% on Rotten Tomatoes, though.

Who shall settle this debate? Well, yesterday Roger Sutton linked to a very nice review of the film via one Martha V. Parravano. It certainly gives you a look from all sides of the movie itself. I think I'll Netflix this one, if you don't mind.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:29 AM , Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

I just got back from watching the film with my wife. And I must say, I went in expecting "them" to ruin the book. Bridge to Terabithia was my favorite book growing up, and re-reading it in college is what made me start writing my own books for children.

But I will admit to shedding a couple tears...and I don't cry in movies! The last one I cried in was Benji the Hunted. What!!!

The acting was great and the spirit of the book was fully intact.

- Jay

 
At 4:05 AM , Blogger Jackie Parker said...

I enjoyed the movie greatly as well, but I've not read the book since I was a kid. Seemed acurate to the memory.

 
At 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the book fairly recently and was really happy with the film. I heard the author's son played a big role in bringing the movie to life so maybe that's why it was so good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home