Fuse #8

Monday, August 28, 2006

Brilliant PR Blitz Or Frightening Looniness? You Be the Judge.

Great posting on BookMoot this morning. It seems that the good folks who brought you the idea of banning the bilingual version of Clifford the Big Red Dog and Disney's Christmas Storybook are back with a whole new nuttier series of books to remove from our precious children's hands. Know what's inappropriate for kids today? Talking owls and ... uh ... girls, I guess. The Burning--Guardians of Ga'hoole, Book 6 by Kathryn Lasky and Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan are on the hit list. I think BookMoot said it best when she commented,
If this is not just a publicity stunt (did your PR agency recommend this action?) then I call on the EPA for an emergency investigation of the water supply in Antelope Valley. While you are at it, check the air quality in the administrative building. They are drinking or breathing something funny out there.

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM , Blogger Jackie Parker said...

My favorite part:

"In some cases, students don't always finish the entire book so, for example, we might choose to avoid a story that seems sympathetic to negative behavior in the beginning even when the lesson is learned in the end," the policy said."

Seriously?

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Pardon me a moment. If you need me I'll just be over here, grinding my teeth into a fine slightly off-white powder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home